Kabanata 5

Kabanata 5

Bea

I fixed my coat and applied a little more red velvet matte lipstick on my lips while inside the ladies room of the trial court. Patapos na ako nang pumasok ang taong nagsampa ng kaso kay Kreige na si Geneva.

She seemed so relax for a victim of sexual harassment, ngunit nang mapagtanto niyang hindi lamang ako ang nasa loob ng banyo ay nagbago ang kanyang ekspresyon sa isang kisap lamang.

"How does it feel to be the woman who defends a predator?" she asked.

Ibinalik ko ang lipstick sa make up pouch saka ko pinasadahan ng aking mga daliri ang aking may kahabaang buhok.

"My client is not a predator unless proven guilty."

Sinuot ko na ang bag at akmang lalabas na nang muli siyang nagsalita.

"How much did they pay you? Oh, baka isa ka rin sa mga nauto niya't ikinakama kaya kumakampi ka sa kanya?" She scoffed. "Nakakahiyang maging babae dahil sa mga katulad mo. Kung sabagay. Bakit pa ako magugulat? A bar top notcher who had a child without a father. I'm sure the late Atty. Ortega is ashamed right now."

My lips pursed. Ngunit imbes na patulan pa siya ay huminga ako nang malalim bago ako lumabas ng banyo. I went straight to the court room and waited for my client to be called. Nang makaupo si Kreige sa aking tabi ay muli kong pinasadahan ng basa ang dokumentong dala ng team namin.

The trial began. Geneva's lawyer roasted Kreige and our witness. Most of the questions were leading and baseless, making me roll my eyes every damn time.

"Objection, leading," pang-ilang beses ko na yatang sabi.

The lawyer glanced at me, definitely pissed off. Nang hayaan kaming simulan ang pangingwestyon ay siniguro ko ring mapipiga ko nang husto ang lahat ng pwedeng mapiga sa kanilang kampo.

Geneva's best friend, Brooke went to the witness stand. We went through the standard procedures before I started questioning her.

"Pwede mo bang ilahad sa hukumang ito ang relasyon mo sa biktimang si Geneva Punzalan?"

"We're good friends. Best friends to be exact."

"And where were you when the crime against your friend was committed?"

"I was at my place, recording a podcast."

"Nagkaroon ba kayo ng alitan bago nangyari ang insidente?"

"No."

"So you're testifying that you and Miss Punzalan are in good terms?"

I smiled. "When you said you are best of friends, does that mean that you will always be there to support each other? Be there when someone needs help?"

"I think so. Yes."

"Kung ganoon, why didn't Miss Punzalan call you on the day that the crime was said to be committed?"

I showed the judge and the other party the records of Geneva's call log on the said date that Kreige assaulted her.

"Limang tao. She called five people, claiming to ask their help but totally forgot about her best friend who was living fifteen minutes away from where she was at that time." I smirked. "Why wouldn't she call you on the most dangerous moment of her life if you're really her best friend?"

Namutla ang kanyang mukha at alanganin siyang sumulyap kay Geneva. "I. . . I think she just didn't want me to get hurt. I mean, babae ako. She probably thought about my safety."

A smile was my answer to her before I shifted the topic. "Miss Castro, you told us earlier that you have each other's back, right? Is that why when Miss Geneva ruined a candidate's dress during a school pageant in your college days, you helped her get rid of the scissors?"

"Objection. The question is irrelevant —"

"Your honor, I want to prove that Miss Castro is willing to break her own morals in the name of her friendship with Miss Punzalan. Here is the copy of Miss Castro's interview that was done by the university's disciplinary coordinator."

"Objection overruled."

"Thank you, your honor." Muli akong bumaling sa witness. "Yes or no, Miss Castro. Tinulungan mo ba si Miss Punzalan na itago ang katotohanan sa nangyari sa damit ng isang kandidata noon?"

She pursed her lips and lowered her head, probably because she knew I already reviewed her answer during the investigation about the ruined dress. "Y—Yes."

"Miss Castro, is this case similar to the ruined dress case? Did Miss Punzalan ask your help to hide the truth that my client never tried to drug her and sexually harass her?"

She pursed her lips for a moment. "N—No."

I flashed a satisfied smile, knowing so well that the judge saw the bullshit she's trying to conceal. "No more questions, your honor."

The next witness was called but I let my associate do the questioning. Nang matapos ang trial ay sabay kaming lumabas ni Kreige ng court room. Dahil malaking personalidad si Kreige at galing sa isang makapangyarihang pamilya sa bansa, dinumog kami ng mga paparazzi sa labas ng trial court.

Most of them didn't care whether they're already pushing themselves too close. Nahirapan na rin ang security team na kontrolin ang mga agresibong press kaya nang muntik nang tumama sa akin ang lente ng camera ng isa sa kanila, mabilis akong kinabig ni Kreige at tila prinotektahan.

The moment we got inside the SUV, I fixed my coat and tried to act cool to hide the effect of what he did. Umandar ang sasakyan ngunit ni isa ay walang nagsalita sa aming dalawa. Pareho lang kaming nakatingin sa labas ng sasakyan, ngunit nang sulyapan ko siya ay napansin kong lukot na pa rin ang noo niya.

It's not hard to read him. I know the press people pissed him off, and somehow, I felt the need to at least thank him for protecting me earlier.

Tumikhim ako at nang tumigil ang SUV sa stoplight ay tuluyan kong binasag ang katahimikan.

"Thanks for protecting me."

Kreige drew in a sharp breath then jerked his head. "Don't mention it." He slouched and shut his eyes. "I'm sorry. Let's just talk later. I'm having a really bad day."

"Is it because of the case? Lamang tayo sa kaso—"

"My ex's mother is considering taking out Crystal's life support. That's what pisses me off and you can't help me with that so I'd appreciate it if you will just let me have some quiet time for now."

Lumunok na lamang ako at tumango bago ko ibinalik sa labas ng sasakyan ang aking tingin. Wala rin naman akong pakialam sa bagay na iyon kaya nanahimik na lamang ako.

Muli kaming binalot ng katahimikan hanggang sa tumunog ang phone ko, at nang makita ko ang chat ng pinsan kong si Rafael, gumuhit ang matinding galit sa aking mukha.

"Your ex is here. . . claiming that he's Khalid's biological father."