Chapter Six

"You have some missed calls," Jin said, handing Jungkook's phone to him

"You have some missed calls," Jin said, handing Jungkook's phone to him. The phone had stopped ringing the moment he stepped into the room and Jungkook had come in a couple of seconds later.

Jungkook took it and looked at the screen. "Oh," he said, before tossing it on the bed. He grabbed a towel from Jin's bedroom to clean off some remnants of snow.

He and Jin finally let Hoseok and Namjoon out after accepting their defeat and agreeing to shovel the snow, while the winners were more than happy to abandon them and watch their movies.

"Who was it?" Jin asked.

Jungkook shrugged like it was no big deal. "My dad."

Jin suspended wiping his body. "You're not taking your dad's calls?"

"He's just going to try and persuade me to come home."

Sighing, Jin tossed the towel into his laundry basket and folded his arms over his chest. "I really think you should go home to your dad."

"I'm not bailing on you when things are going so well," Jungkook objected. "I'm going to see this through."

"Look, Kook, we'll tell my parents that you had an emergency and had to return to Seoul. They'll understand. By the way, I think we already accomplished our mission."

"Jin," Jungkook called, his tone deep and serious. "I'm not leaving you. I came here because I wanted to. My dad had three years to be good to me but instead, he pretended like I didn't exist because if he did it meant he'd have to play the role of an only parent. I'm not going to bend whenever it's convenient for him."

Another layer—the lonely child.

Jungkook licked his lips, shaking his head. "I want to be here with you. I want to help you," he said, his voice taking a calmer more persuasive tone. "I'm happy with your family."

Jin nodded. He wouldn't lie, he was glad Jungkook wasn't leaving. He was becoming was too dependent on Jungkook's presence to be happy and he wasn't sure how healthy that was. "Okay. Sure, Kook."

Jungkook smiled. "Good then." He let out a deep exhale. "Would you go grab some cookies for us?"

"That's right. How did they turn out after I abandoned them?"

"As a matter of fact, very good. After all, you left them in my capable hands," he bragged, winking smugly. "I ate a bunch last night though," He confessed.

"That's fine," Jin laughed. "I'll be right back," he said and made his way downstairs.

Hoseok was by the counter when Jin entered the kitchen, he was pouring water into two glasses. Jin walked past, grabbed a plate and dumped six pieces of cookies on it. He grabbed two glasses and poured milk into them, all the while feeling Hoseok's eyes on him.

As he made his way out, Hoseok stepped into his path. "Jin, wait. Can we talk?"

"Sorry, I'm busy." He tried to manoeuvre his way but Hoseok was in front of him anyway. "What is it, Hoseok?"