Separated

I was alone

I was alone. It was dark. I only saw things that were a foot away from me. I called out but i couldn't hear my own voice. Where was I? Suddenly the bleak world started shifting. I heard Karolina's voice calling for me But I couldn't reply. The world shook and shook beneath my feet until I fell over, into a dark, black hole...

***

'KATIE!' a pillow was thrown in my face as I opened my eyes. My bedroom light was on, shining brightly in my eyes. So bright I had to cover them.

'Wake up Katie, it's a school day!' said Karolina from my bedroom doorway with a fluffy pillow tucked in her left arm.

"Noo..." I groaned. Squeezing my eyes shut to block the light out.

'Alex will be their...' she cooed, yanking my blankets off me. My eyes snapped wide open. Karolina was smirking at me.

'Shut up' I said, making her chuckle.

'Let's go lazy, get dressed, mom is making breakfast.' Karolina headed for the door again.

'what is it?' I asked, rubbing my eyes.

'Pancakes, your favourite...'

***

I walked with Karolina across the courtyard of the school. Some people were staring at us, mostly at Karolina. No one stared at me. That's a good thing. I don't like attention from other people. Never have. I clutched my backpack and looked at the floor. Suddenly, Karolina pulled me close. She was taking another photo from up high... again. I tried to wiggle away, I don't like photos taken by Karolina, she always makes me look bad. She doesn't do it on purpose of course...

'please Katie, just one photo' Karolina said.

'fine' i replied moodily.

' 3...2...1...'

She added a caption while a group of people walked past us. It was Chase and his jock followers. Ever since the group disbanded, Chase became the annoying, popular jock. We used to be such good friends. We still are but, he doesn't talk to me that much as before.

"Right let's go" she posted the photo then looked at me. She noticed i was looking at something. "What are you staring at?" she asked me.

"Nothing..." i looked back at her, she gave me the lookr. The look she gives me when she is worried about me. I ignored it.

"I'm going to find Alex... I'll see you later Karolina" I walked off.

I left her and started walking towards the doors leading to my dreaded high school. Gert was handing fliers for this woman's act thing. Gert didn't change much. Same old Gert with a bit more of a feminist touch. One thing that did change was her hair. I think everyone noticed it. After the group disbanded she started fighting for woman's right on a daily basis. I think she is doing it full time because every time I see her, she is either handing out fliers on making a 'touching speech' about how woman need more in our lives. No one really listens of coarse. Not to be rude but no one cares a bit about the fliers. I see people sneakily chuck them on the bin during lunch. I listen though. I think I am the only one.