Brokenhearted

Midterms.

Sophie had been here for a looooong time, and here she was, waiting for the results of midterms again.

She was currently level 6, and Keefe and Fitz were level 8 -- the last level of Foxfire.

After this year, they would... do whatever in the real world.

The thought of two of her closest friends being gone from this school made Sophie sad, but she continuously shook the feeling off.

It didn't matter.

Besides, maybe she could do with a distraction.

Sophie sighed, leaning into her hand as she watched Keefe disappear outside with his long-term girlfriend -- Stella Ferdenz, a pretty level 8 with a melodic voice that seemed to be the reason of Keefe's feelings.

Her heart seemed to beat faster every time she saw them together -- and Sophie wasn't going to pretend that she didn't know why.

She liked him.

And it took her too long to realize that.

She was caught up in other stuff when she was younger that she didn't know that what she needed, what she wanted had been right in front of her.

Until he was gone.

Ever since he befriended Stella, he grew further and further away from his old group of friends, and over to Stella.

People said that they were the perfect couple.

That they would most likely get matched.

That they would probably get married.

Sophie turned back to her friends with a smile on her face, pretending that everything was alright, and trying to ignore the disappointing thudding of her breaking heart.

"So, are we all up to a party at my house?" Biana asked.

"Yeah, Keefe said he's going to come." Fitz said.

"Ooh, we haven't seen him in ages!" Linh grinned.

"Oh, um... I don't know if I can go." Sophie said. She wasn't sure if she could handle being in the same room with Keefe, knowing that he was out of reach. It was like having something you desired most being just out of reach -- close, but unable to reach out and grab.

Biana pouted, ready to retort, but her face paled as the door opened and the parents stormed in.

Sophie scanned the crowd for her parents, and they came running, beaming at her. "Passed!" Edaline exclaimed. "Although your Elvin History mentor mentioned that you fell asleep in one of his classes. And you blew up another chemical, didn't you?"

Someone snorted next to her. "Typical Foster. Trouble always seems to find you, huh?"

Sophie turned to see Keefe and his father. Keefe had his trademark smirk on his face, and Sophie tried to keep her heart beating naturally. "It's not like you could do any better." She muttered.

"Aw, you don't have to get all embarrassed." He grinned. "Here, give me a high five!"

Sophie left him hanging, afraid of what he might feel if they made physical contact.

He sighed. "Well, I'll see you around, I guess..."

"Bye."