4

It was a Saturday night at Yellowstone and we were having a little shindig at the bunkhouse. The kitchen table was covered in cards and money; with empty beer bottles spread throughout. We had been playing Texas holdem all evening and I was having a winning streak.

Almost all of the wranglers were present, even Rip. Though he was more focused on watching Beth twirl around the makeshift dance floor to whatever song Walker was strumming. The only person missing from the group was Kayce; who had driven to the reservation that morning to spend time with Tate. Though he never seemed to take part in our card games anyway.

As I took another pull from the bottle of tequila we had been passing around, the need for a cigarette became too great.

"Beth?" I called out.

At the sound of her name, she turned her head towards me still continuing to sway to the beat. "What?"

"Can I bum a cig?"

Beth came to a stop at my question, seeming surprised before nodding. "Sure Gabby, you're a big girl. Just don't call me when you get lung cancer." She spoke as she walked to her purse and begun pulling out one.

"Beth you smoke a pack a day yourself" Rip pointed out teasingly.

"I know baby, but I have stubborn bitch lungs. It's like a rabid dog to cancer." She rebutted  as she passed me the cigarette and a lighter.

I let out a breath of laughter at the two, thanking Beth and making my way outside needing a moment to myself.

I had been enjoying my time at the Dutton ranch, befriending most of the wranglers and feeling like I was really coming into my own here. Sometimes it all could be a bit overwhelming with the constant tasks and interaction with others.

I worked my ass off everyday and still was met with a feeling of inadequacy compared to the other cowboys, though the only voice I found saying that was my own. I had found refuge in midnight walks as they provided a sense of calmness to my anxiety that seemed to help silence it. Though tonight there was no quiet mountain air, as laughter and music came seeping out of the bunkhouse; disturbing the wilderness surrounding it.

As I took a drag from my cigarette I began to hear the humming of a truck and saw headlights refracting through the darkness. I let out a shaky breathe of relief at Kayce's return. Though he had been back at the ranch for a month and a half at this point, I still carried the fear that he would fall back to Monica the moment he saw her.

Kayce never discussed her or any aspect of their relationship, and while Kayce and I had been keeping our promise of being mutually friendly. The topic of Monica was still an automatic way to get him to close himself off. So any knowledge I had of the two came from Beth, who simply said that Kayce had enough and told her to go fuck herself. Though I suspected that Kayce wouldn't tell her anything either.

Since his return to the ranch Kayce had moved into the foreman's house, despite the role falling mostly on Rip due to Kayce's job as livestock commissioner.

As Kayce passed by the bunkhouse, I stepped out slightly into the light from his headlights hoping he would take the bait. Seeming to have seen me, Kayce pulled over the truck, and slowly open the door, looking around before gingerly walking my way. I smirked slightly to myself, men could be so predictable.

"I didn't know you smoke" Kayce half asked, while giving me a once over.

I had actually taken time with my appearance today, wanting to feel beautiful. I had let my hair down, put on a little makeup, and a semi nice dress with my boots. And if Kayce's expression was anything to go by it was appreciated.