7

I cleared my throat as the cologne soaked men piled into the truck. We were heading into town to blow off some steam after the long week, whoever had been cutting our fences was now escalating, moving onto setting some of our pastures ablaze. Luckily, we caught them early on before they could set the entire Yellowstone on fire.

I was in the back of Rip's truck, sandwiched between Ryan and Jimmy who seemed to overcompensate for their sweat filled day by bathing in Axe body spray.

"I know y'all want some pussy guys, but you can't hit on 'em if they can't come within five feet of you without needing an inhaler." I teased.

"Are you trying to tell me you're checking me out, G?"

"Ryan, you can save that fantasy for your wet dreams. Because it sure as hell isn't happening in this lifetime." I looked at him pointedly before breaking into a smile.

"You are the woman of my dreams, sweetheart." Ryan teased back with a wink.

"Can y'all shut the fuck up? You're already dragging me to this shit hole, I'm not letting y'all make me sit through a shitty half hour stand up show too." Rip spoke with no real heat behind it.

"Rip, you're the only one getting laid tonight. You don't get an opinion."

"Hey!" Ryan and Jimmy said in protest at the same time.

I rolled my eyes looking towards the front of the truck, where Rip was driving and somehow also eye-fucking Beth at the same time.

"Might be sooner than that, we might need to hit a gas station with the way you're looking at me Baby." Beth purred towards Rip.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Beth." He spoke looking bewildered and slightly embarrassed.

"If I come out of this bar to these truck seats being wet, I am riding home with Lloyd." I mumbled.

"Don't act like you wouldn't be doing the exact same shit if you met a sexy cowboy tonight Gabby." Beth said with a chuckle, twisting her body to face the backseat.

"I plead the fifth."

"Fifth of what?" Jimmy questioned, looking at me confused.

Beth sent a pointed look towards Jimmy before ignoring him. "I'm thinking we play matchmaker tonight honey, what do you think?" Beth stated looking at me then turning her head towards Rip.

"Beth, no. I'm almost thirty. I think I know how to find a man."

"Beth" Rip called her name, sounding like warning.

"I'm sure you could if you weren't so dickmatized by my brother."

"I-what the fuck is that suppose to mean?"

"It means you think we're stupid and don't know what the fuck is going on."

"Nothing is going on. Kayce is my friend." I shrugged my shoulders, not understanding why that was such a hard concept for everyone.

"Friends disappear late at night and spend what seems to be all your free time together? Not any friends I know, maybe Rip and I back in the day." Beth snorted before turning around. She turned her head once more slightly, "How bout the next time y'all have one of your friendly hang outs, you get Kayce to give Monica a call?"

Ryan wrapped an arm around me tightly, acting like an armor to Beth's harsh truths. I knew it was foolish to believe that Kayce and I's relationship was strictly platonic but neither of us had ever crossed that line either.

I rested my head on Ryan's shoulder, already ready to just go home. "I believe you, G." Ryan whispered to me.

"That makes one of us."