Chapter 61

Liam's impression that Tobias, despite being a gym leader, wasn't exactly a rule-follower was confirmed on their wild ride back to New Court. The car swerved and screeched around corners and raced down the mostly-empty streets, its underglow pulsing to the industrial music blaring from Tobias' speakers. Liam, Mori, Vasilio, and Cass were thrown from one side of the car to the other as Tobias' black-gloved fingers jerked the wheel with a mixture of precision and flamboyance. Just as Liam was feeling that he couldn't take much more, they skidded to a halt at the front gate of New Court. Liam staggered out of the back seat and had just managed to help a very shaken Cass out of the front when Tobias did a U-turn and sped back in the opposite direction, his pounding music echoing through the street as his car disappeared into the distance.

"That was awesome," said Mori breathlessly.

"Whatever you say," said Vasilio, rubbing the spot where his forehead had collided with the backseat window.

"You guys gonna wait for the others to get back?" asked Liam.

Mori's face fell and she shook her head.

"I'm probably in trouble already," she said glumly.

"I'll walk back with you," said Vasilio. "Liam, will you make sure Cass gets home?"

"Yes, he will," said Cass, taking Liam's arm.

Aside from the occasional swarm of Zubats chittering overhead, New Court was completely silent. The rain had finally stopped, and Liam enjoyed the slow, quiet walk back to Cass's apartment. He felt a weird sense of elation, and he was happy just to be walking with Cass without saying anything at all.

"Here we are," said Cass, letting go of Liam's arm. "You know, it's kind of funny. The last time you walked me back home was..."

"When Chelsea's Scraggy died," said Liam.

"Yeah," said Cass, "Wow. That seems like such a long time ago."

"It does," said Liam.

Cass gave a contented sigh.

"See you on Monday?" ventured Liam.

"Yeah," said Cass. "Goodnight."

Liam wasn't surprised by the long, tight hug Cass gave him before starting up to her house, but he treasured it all the same.