Chapter Nineteen: Distracted

Livy

Livy smelled her first. A soft sweetness on the breeze that reminded her of citrus and roses and candy. It was how she had tasted, too, when they kissed, and it made her ache.

"What are you doing up?" she asked, waiting until Hailey's footsteps stalled behind her. Almost as if the girl was nervous about approaching. Livy's heart sank. Was this it? The gentle letdown.

Instead of answering immediately, Hailey sat on the step beside her. She tugged the sleeves of her coat down to cover her hands. It was a simple move that reminded Livy the girl was still human, but she wasn't stupid enough to mention it. She scooted closer to the girl to offer her some of the generous body heat shifters put off.

Hailey sucked air through her teeth when Livy's shoulder brushed hers. Livy winced. "I'm sorry."

"No!" Hailey's fingers curled around her thigh, stopping her from moving away. "It helps with the cold."

Livy swallowed. Her eyes darted around to keep from staring at the place where that soft manicured hand lingered on her leg. Whatever chill she might have felt from being in the cold so long was long gone. In fact, all she could think about was how inconvenient the winter layers of clothes were right now, and she was grateful Hailey couldn't read her mind. No doubt the girl would go running, completely disgusted by Livy's desire for her.

"I couldn't sleep," Hailey whispered.

Utilizing the clipped tone she used to employ at the school–back when she was known for being an ice princess, Livy replied, "You should go back and try."

"I–I will."

Hailey pulled her hand away and folded it in her lap with her other. Staring at it, she dragged in a deep breath, nearly causing her breasts to spill over the top of the ridiculous lace edged cami she wore. Livy groaned internally. Was she really no better than a man?

"But only after we talk about what happened."

"It was a mistake."

"Oh."

The disappointment in that single syllable made Livy shiver with hope. "Wasn't it?"

Luminous blue eyes turned to look at her. "The only mistake was that you ran off before I could tell you how much I liked it."

Livy swallowed hard. This wasn't the time or the place for distractions. She was supposed to be keeping watch, but pink lips stole all her attention as they moved closer. Hailey's slender fingers curved around the back of Livy's head, holding her in place while the pointed tips of her nails slid across her scalp. Tingles raced through her.

"Do you want to kiss me again?" Hailey asked. Her breath was a warm caress across Livy's face.

Yes. Yes. She wanted to kiss her again. In all her years living with the Shifters, she'd ignored her attraction to girls because so many in their community would have condemned her for it. Her strength and dominance as a female already made her something of a pariah–her family didn't need anymore trouble.

But right now. With Hailey's scent and softness surrounding her and drawing all those long suppressed desires out, she threw caution to the wind and gave in, answering the question with action, not words.

"God," Hailey moaned against her mouth when Livy dragged her onto her lap. Hands still in her hair, she tugged hard and pulled away. "I wanted to tell you this, but since we took over the Helsing Estate, I've dreamed about you. Kissing you. Touching you."

With a growl, Livy rolled over and pinned the girl against the steps. As much as Hailey's control thrilled her human half, the animal part of her needed to assert dominance. Needed to show this little minx who was in charge.

For several minutes, they didn't speak again, their mouths far too busy with other things. This wasn't the most convenient place for a make out, especially one this intense, but the discomfort and pain only heightened the thrill.

"Livy," Hailey panted, her teeth sinking into Livy's lower lip, not enough to draw blood, but just enough to fuel the fire. "Have you... have you ever been with a girl like this?"

She looked down, studying how their bodies were tangled together. Legs twisted, pressing into intimate spaces and teasing the possibility of even greater pleasure. Clothes askew and revealing tantalizing glimpses of flesh.

"No." Another quick kiss. "I haven't ever been with anyone like this."

Hailey frowned. "Not even Bane?"

"What about Bane?"

The girls gripped each other and sat up, their mouths gaping as Bane stepped into view. His eyes flashed the way they did before a shift, and his canines protruded over his lips as he glared down at them. Livy cursed. He shouldn't have been able to sneak up on them like that.

"Bane," they said in guilty unison.

A menacing growl vibrated in his throat. A very human snort of disgust followed it, and then he walked away.

"Hailey–"

"No, I uh," she stuttered, jumping up and straightening her clothes. "I should go to bed."

Then she was gone, and Livy was alone.