EPISODE 3, PART 1: SIXTEEN IS SIMILAR TO FIFTEEN

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

November 16th, 2022

Celia's alarm rung, and it woke her up from a nightmare. The redhead laid down in her bed for a few more minutes before realizing it wasn't her usual alarm.

"Enid Sinclair, did you seriously changed Smells Like Teen Spirit to some stupid Happy Birthday song?" Celia said, but she didn't got a response. "Enid?" The bed of her blonde roommate was empty. Just like Wednesday's. "Enid? Wednesday?"

Celia guessed that they were already at breakfast, so she decided to dress into her uniform. It was also Outreach Day today, she realized. 

Celia was about to leave her room, when she heard something on the other side of the door. "Hello?" she asked. No response. Celia opened the door, and froze.

In front of her stood Enid with a cupcake. Behind Enid stood Yoko, Xavier, Ajax, Divina, Kent, Eugene and even Wednesday and Thing with his little party hat, all singing Happy Birthday to Celia (except Wednesday and Thing. Thing basically can't sing and Wednesday probably doesn't want to sing).

"Happy birthday toooooo youuuuuuu." Of course they sang the last part a little bit too extra. "Are you done now?" Celia laughed. "Thank you so much!" 

Enid handed over the cupcake to Celia. "Blow the candles out!" Celia blew out the candles, which were a 1 and a 6 in gold. "Yay!" Enid cheered. "You're officially sixteen now! How does it feel?" Celia chuckled. "Well, for now I'll say that sixteen is similar to fifteen."

"We have to hurry though, we had to be in the quad at 8:00 am, and it's currently 7:30 and we need to have breakfast first," Eugene said. "You'll get your presents when we're back form Jericho," Enid said, taking Celia with her towards the dining hall. "... Presents?"

·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

Celia didn't liked her birthday. She thought that Enid liked Celia's birthday even more than she did. Celia figured out that Enid posted a picture of her on her blog with the text "happy 16th birthday bestie xxxxxxxxxxxx", and that must be why the whole school seemed to congratulate her.

Yesterday was the Poe Cup, and Outreach Day was today. Why all of the Nevermore activities were so rushed? There would be an opening ceremony for the new statue of Joseph Crackstone in Jericho, so Celia's theory was that's why they moved Outreach day to today.

The quad was crowded, and Celia couldn't hear Enid because of the chattering. Then, at 8:15, Principal Weems showed up and shushed the students. "All students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10:00 am sharp, followed by a community lunch at 1:00."

"As you know, this year Outreach Day culminates in a very special event, the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students." Enid jumped next to Celia, excited to show everyone her dance routine.

Weems continued talking. "As representatives of our school, I trust you all to put your best face forward." Celia giggled, knowing that there were 'faceless' persons studying here.

The teachers started handing out the papers with their volunteer jobs for today. "Thank you," Celia said to her Outcast History teacher after he handed her her paper. "Okay, on the count of three, we're both gonna look and say at the same time what we got," Enid said, "Okay, three, two, one..."

Celia opened her piece of paper, and it read... "I got Pilgrim World!" Celia and Enid both said at the same time. "OH MY GOD YES!" Enid yelled, Celia chuckled. "Come on, let's ask Wednesday what she got!" Enid took Celia with her once again.