Chapter 50: Fear Her

"We need that pod." the Doctor said as he and his girls walked down the street in the direction of their magnificent ship.

"It crashed though. Won't it be destroyed?" Rose asked, unsure of how to locate such an elusive object.

He frowned slightly. "Well, it's been sucking in all the heat it can. Hopefully that should keep it in a fit state to launch."

Echo looked around absently, "It has to be close to Chloe's house." she agreed, having faith in their irreplaceable abilities.

"It should have a week energy signature that the Tardis can trace. Once we find it, then we can help the Isolus." he added. What they didn't realize, however, was that Chloe was watching them first from her bedroom window. She then eventually followed them all the way back to the Tardis without being seen.

As they walked inside their beloved ship, Echo and the Doctor were planning out what they'd need to do and what to build. "We'll then need to scan for the same trace we got from the scribble ball. All we'd have to do is widen the parameters a bit."

Gathering all the equipment they'd need took no time at all. Wanting to enjoy his genius, Echo then opted for simply watching and handing him what he needed as he built their gizmo. That was also when he gave her a piece of gum to chew for their creation. "You both knew the Isolus was lonely before it told you. How?" Rose asked, only wanting them to answer if they were willing.

"We're both very familiar with what it's like to travel a long way on your own." their Doctor answered without looking up from his work. "Hand me the styner- magnetic pulse generator."
 Echo then handed him the device in her right hand with amusement.

Rose furrowed her brows. "Sounds like you're both on its side."

Her brunette bestie gave her a confused expression. "To be honest, I don't really blame it for what it's done. For acting out. Especially when considering the circumstances." she answered, unsure on why she didn't see it that way as well.

The human girl gave her a disbelieving look. "The Isolus has caused a lot of pain for these people." she immediately defended.

"It's a child." the Doctor countered. "That's why it went to Chloe. Two lonely, mixed up kids." he reiterated as he adjusted a few gears.

Rose crossed her arms. "Feels to me like a temper tantrum because it can't get its way." she added, not quite understanding what enough isolation could truly cause in a being.

"It's scared. Come on, you were a kid once. Hand me the Binary dot." he said, then attached the tiny piece of specialized metal.

She shrugged, "Yeah, I guess. I know they're right little terrors, too." Echo chuckled and nodded her head in agreement, then gave him the wad of gum he had given her. "I've got cousins. Kids can't have it all their own way. That's part of being a family." she added matter-of-factly.

He glanced at her for only a split second. "What about trying to understand them?"

"Easy for you to say. You don't have kids." she said, not quite realizing just how little she truly knew about him.

"I was a dad once." he answered easily, having no intention on explaining further.

Rose stared at him in shocked disbelief. "What did you say?"

Once the Doctor had succeeded in fixing a component in place with the gum, he then closed the glass dome on top with a pleased smile. "I think we're there. Fear, loneliness. They're the big ones, Rose. Some of the most terrible acts ever committed have been inspired by them. We're not dealing with something that wants to conquer or destroy. Just a lost child. There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refactors. You know the thing you need most of all? A hand to hold." He then took Echo's hand and gave her a loving kiss on her knuckles. Much to his satisfaction, a blush colored her cheeks as a joyous grin adorned her features from the simple yet intimate action.