Chapter 3

~Mohabbat mein nahi farq jeene marne ka...
Usi ko dekhke jeete hain, jis kafir par dum nikle - Mirza Ghalib~

T

he aroma of coffee and morning always complements each other. The sun with its washed sunlight after a heavy rain was again ready to light the whole world. But despite all the freshness of the day, Raaya had a rough night.

Didn't know why she was remembering her mother and her past? Whole night she was twisting and turning in her bed, afraid that she might wake her husband, but didn't.

Glancing at her sleeping husband once, she went to the washroom. Today she was thinking of resuming her pending projects. There were still dresses remaining that needed her embroidery and some finishing touches.

"How are you, Raaya?"

Once she entered the kitchen, her mother in law asked with concern.

"I'm fine." Raaya answered with a small smile, she didn't want to burden anyone with her fears or worries.

"I have made breakfast for you and Idris. Have it together." Her mother-in-law grinned, handing her the tray of breakfast.

When she returned to her room, it was empty. The sound of shower was filling the silence of the room. Putting the tray on bed, Raaya pulled out her basket of embroidery. There were five dresses that needed her attention.

After completing her graduation, she decided to turn her hobby into work. Nani was already doing a lot for their education so now she could give rest to her studies and earn some money for the house.

At start there were one to two ladies who knew about her talent and gave her small work but soon her talent got some word of mouth and their neighbours began to acknowledge her work.

She was looking at the white dress where she had made small red roses all over. "You made it?"

Raaya was surprised to hear him so close. Idris was crouched on his heels, his faint cologne surrounding her. She nodded to his unanswered query.

"Wow, Raaya. I didn't know you were so talented." He was now looking at other dresses that were unfinished. 

Her cheeks burned and turned pink, looking at his attire. A black vest with faded blue jeans, and a towel around his neck. His ivory skin seemed to be glowing in sunlight, in that black vest and what not.

Memories are like dominos. One thing leads to one memory and many more tumble down. Just like Idris' praises and his eye of adoration reminded her of Kashif, how once he had mocked her work. Never paying any heed to her progress or achievements. It was only a hobby for him and a wastage of time.

But for Raaya Sultan it was her means of income, her existence and Idris Usman had given respect to her existence.

***

Hamida rolled her eyes seeing the store room stuff in the hall. Nani was making it clean. Throwing her bag on the sofa, she moved to her room.

"I don't want to listen, Nani." Stacking the already stacked books, Hamida was fuming, "From all the people you only got Zahir."

"It's not a big issue as you're making it."

"And I don't know why you're taking it so lightly?"

Now she was opening her braid, her dark brown hair covering her back. Everything was getting blurred, she didn't want to show her pain to Nani. That single decision of hers had brought back everything from the past.

"I hate that family. I hate that man. He's annoy-" Her words died as she saw a reflection in the mirror. Resting his shoulder on the door frame, he was watching her with a smile. A cunning smile.