Chapter 11

~Ishq se tabiyat ne zeest ka maza paaya,
Dard ki dawa payi, dard e be dawa paaya.~

Zahir knew he definitely ruined her mood to a great extent. But didn't want to admit the happiness he felt seeing those tears in Hamida's eyes for him. Would his absence bother her? Were they travelers of the same boat?

He came down from his room to sense silence in the hall with only some sounds of cluttering from the kitchen. Thinking of it being Nani, as it was Hamida's college time, he stopped at the threshold.

The scene looked blessed as the thin sunlight of July kissed Hamida's features. She was too engrossed in washing the dishes to notice him, so he had a chance to stare at her. Today she wore a green dress, her dupatta set on her head, glowing her olive skin some more.

"I'll kill you, Zahir. Stop staring at me."

A snicker left him as he came near her, fully amused by her glare, while she again got busy in her work.

"Where's nani?"

"There's some funeral in the area so she's there. What will you have for breakfast?"

"Anything you like. No college today?"

She shook her head, "Will head out in ten minutes."

That's a decent conversation. "Were you waiting for me to eat breakfast?"

Hamida rolled her eyes at him, and he laughed in response. That lady wouldn't ever keep him in delusion.

"Don't get your hopes too high. Nani told me to make your breakfast."

The whole scene felt soothing to his nerves. They, in a casual chat, Hamida not smiling at him but asking about breakfast. But in his imagination he always saw her giving one of the most beautiful smiles at him. That smile where you couldn't see it on her lips that much but in her eyes.

"A person has some decency about someone's time." Hamida mumbled, putting the frying pan on the stove. "I'm making an egg sandwich for you. Eat it without fuss."

Zahir came near her, his back resting on the kitchen island as he observed Hamida.

"I'll eat anything you give me, Hamida. Even poison."

A hiss sound escaped her, her cheeks colored in a faint pink shade.

"Good to know. I'll definitely bring one for you." Now she toasted the bread in the pan, "Learn some cooking, Zahir. It's not good being dependent on anyone."

"Who says I can't cook? How do you think I survived time outside my house?" Her eyes grazed his features for a moment. They were standing quite close, the faint whiff of her perfume hitting his nostrils, sandalwood,  "I can't spend money on outside food everyday."

"Can't imagine an idiot like you cook."

"Will show you someday." Hamida nodded and not seeing any signs of anger on her features, Zahir's heart became desparate, "Maybe in our future."

With a thud she put the sandwich plate in front of him, "I'm late because of you. What's the use of cooking skills when you can't make breakfasts?"

Zahir's laughter echoed in the kitchen as he saw her exiting. While he savored the taste of the sandwich, the shrill sunlight touched his content features.

***

Raaya had no idea how to kill time. Her mind felt like too many thoughts were jumbled up together. The one thing that started all of it was Idris' absence. As if he stayed with her 24/7.