1.3

The next day the family decided to meet up in the Soonyang medical center. They called Ha Rin to make sure, she was there. They did not like her. However in situations like this, ever since the patriarch and the matriarch of the family died, they needed her. An unbiased voice. Not bound by blood, marriage or the will to take over the group. A referee.

Seeing as they needed her to be there, it seems like Young Ki is not doing all too well after his surgery. A young woman, her assistant, entered her office after knocking and handed her a file. It was Young Ki's medical reports.

"The CEO of the Soonyang Group is not doing too well. His heart stopped twice and is advised to stay in complete rest. Nobody is allowed to see him. According to the diagnosis, he is not expected to live long." Her assistant said. 

"So, I guess the succession game will start again. Please call Lee Hae In, I believe she would be interested in knowing that now is the moment to strike, if she wants any information from them. Tell her that the family will be at the medical center. Once we get there, wait at the entrance and guide her in, when she arrives." Ha Rin said as she flipped through the reports. Her assistant nodded, bowed and left the room.

Ha Rin sank in her chair and chuckled lightly. 

"As a referee, I have to ensure fair play, don't I?"

Making all variables visible was not her way of dealing with this situation, however she owed this to Hae In. Thus in order to make it even between them, she is offering her a stage to present herself. 

The Soonyang Medical Center was the only neutral ground in the Jin family, with her as the largest shareholder and president. She had delegated most of her work and it was no longer as profitable as it once was, after she took over. However to the people, she hated the most, it provided one thing, they could not even find at their own home, security. 

She made her way to the medical center where the family had gathered and saw a face, she had not been expecting there. Jin Yoon Ki. The only times one would see him was during larger events and funerals. This was neither of them, at least not yet. 

One had to say she did not hate Yoon Ki as much as the rest of the family. She could tolerate him but he was weak. He was compassionate towards his family and gave in quite easily compared to the rest and this made him weak in a family where they are not afraid to backstab each other in every given moment. This weakness and lack of ambition is what broke his once harmonious family. 

She might have admired him a long time ago, saw his compassion and kindness as a strength, as the only light in this family, however without the strength to protect your loved ones and yourself, it is a fatal weakness. A weakness she did not want to have and could not afford. 

She gave him a small nod and a polite smile and took a seat. After a while Hyun Woo came out, it seems like he did not have the time to sleep after all. He bowed to all the family members in the room including her and then left with a new employee, she had never seen. She would cook and pamper him tonight, she thought. 

The doctor came in and told the family, what Ha RIn had previously already read in the report. Hwa Young wanted to follow the doctor, probably wanting to know more about the situation, even perhaps the chance to see how bad her brother was doing with her own eyes. 

"I would not do that, if I were you, Hwa Young." Ha Rin said dismissively, only then did Hwa Young remember that she was in the room as well. 

Suddenly Hae In entered the room and the mood changed. They had not seen her in a very long while, she had practically disappeared and they did not miss her. 

"Did you call her?" Dong Ki asked Yoon Ki. 

"No I called her, since she has something very important to tell you all." Ha Rin interrupted. 

Hae In announced her, having three percent of Soonyang shares and intending to give it to anyone who told her about the accident years ago. Well three percent would not have been much, if not for everyone's glaring ambition. However they all knew, if there was going to be a succession, nobody would have the definite majority. 

The most direct way to win would have been to persuade Ha Rin who holds at least ten percent of the shares. How many shares she exactly has under control nobody knows but they do know is that if she made a stance all the undecided shares would sway with her. However winning over Ha Rin is easier said than done, they have been trying for the past twenty years and too much has happened between them to sway her over to either of them. The only blessing being that is she mostly abstained from voting for anyone's favor, meaning that nobody had an edge over the other. 

It was tempting, very much so to tell Hae In the truth, especially since the succession war was near, if it had not started yet. Alas, not even her husband dared to tell her the truth that he barely knew himself.

(931 Words)

Question: What do you think about the relationship between Ha Rin and Hyun Woo? There has not been a lot of "screen time" between them but I tried to hint at some things. The next chapter is dedicated to the relationship between them.