2.6

The next few days went in by in blur as different action were set into motion. The Soonyang family proceeded to expertly bribe Roh Tae Woo as future investment, which made Ha Rin understand that in order to survive in this family, she would need a solid understanding of the political system. The bribery went on smoothly and although it did not seem much out of the ordinary for the family, Jin Dong Ki was still quite smug about it during the weekly dinners. 

Jin Yang Chul went to Baghdad and Ha Rin stayed in Korea. She was not keen to meet the royal family there without her parents. They had been business partners for a while. She had faith that the estate managers were doing a good job to upkeep the relations until she was old enough to go over there herself. She also did not want to go and be a mere tool to Jin Yang Chul. She remembered their last conversation before Jin Yang Chul went to Baghdad.

"Ha Rin, your parents had worked with the royal family of Baghdad. Have you met them before?" They were in his study as usual with him going through his documents and her reading a book about the Korean political system. 

"Yes they had some dealing with them. I met them once when I was quite young. I do not have much of impression of them." This was a lie. She had been to Baghdad once but she had met the royal family on multiple occasions.

When she heard Jin Yang Chul's disappointed  sigh, she knew she had made the right call. He was probably hoping to strike a better deal by having her present but it was of no use if she was not close to them. 

In the days while Jin Yang Chul was abroad, she would often head to the library, saying that he had given her homework over the time he was away. The family mostly believed it and even if they did not, they had to as there was nothing they could do. And all the time she would spend at the study was replaced by visiting the library where she would read up the Korean political system. 

One evening when she was in the main house the phone rang and nobody was in sight, so she picked up the phone.

"Grandma, I have something to tell Grandpa. Is he home right now?" Ha Rin heard Do Jun's voice on the other side. She was slightly surprised and quickly composed herself.

"Your grandmother is not home. She went to visit your uncle Jin Dong Ki and is not home yet. Jin  Yang Chul is also not home. He is currently on a business trip in Baghdad."

Ha Rin heard a gasp of surprise from the other side. 

"Ha Rin? Jin Ha Rin?"

"Yes, it is me. Would you like to know when he will come back? I have the information."

"Yes... That would be great."

"Hmm, one second... Here. He will come back on the 29th of October."

"... Do you by chance know his flight number?"

"Yes give me a quick moment... It is CAL 828."

"Thank you. I will call you another time." He said after a long pause.

"Wait" Ha Rin stayed quiet before speaking.

"Actually, could we meet at the library next to the main house this weekend? It seems like you know a  bit about the political system here in Korea and I am currently learning about it. Could you help me?"

"You could ask grandpa to hire you a tutor. Why me?"

"I could but I would rather you do it. I want to get to know you better." 

"Okay." He hesitated slightly. "How about we meet at 10 am in the library?"

"That sounds good. Let's meet then. Good night" Glad that he agreed to tutor her about the Korean political system, she was ready to call it a day.

"Good night." Remembering what was once and what is now, Do Jun repeated the phrase.

The next day went as usual until it was evening. She joined Lee Pil-Ok as she watched the news after dinner. And then the announcement came. CAL 828, the flight that the old man was on had disappeared and was with high probability a target of hijacking. Ha Rin was in shock and froze. 

It had happened again. Someone, her guardian, had died. Again. 

While Ha Rin was in shock, all of Jin Yang Cheol's children were informed and rushed into the main house. Everyone was expecting the worst and in their somber sadness, there lied ambition for some of them. Ha Rin had recollected herself, perhaps had disassociated herself from the situation as she observed the people in the room. Then and there she felt disgust and confirmation that her distrust towards those people was warranted. 

A hand gently touched her shoulder and guided her to take a seat on the couch. It was Lee Hae In, Yoon Ki's wife and Do Jun's mother. 

"Sit down, everything will be fine." She said in a comforting voice. 

"Thank you." Ha Rin said quietly. 

As the minutes and perhaps hours passed by, as they waited for the call to confirm whether or not the old man was on the plane. When the phone rang, everyone was silent and stared at Young Ki to see whether his expression would confirm their fears. The moment the call ended and Young Ki started to tear up and apologize profusely to his mother. Everyone fell into shambles. 

Until the door opened and revealed the old man who was supposed to be dead. As if mocking death and their concerns, he asked in his usual arrogance.

"Did someone die? Why are you all crying?"

"We checked the final passenger's list from Baghdad just now." Young Ki tried to explain.

"Are you disappointed I came back alive? You need not worry. Your father is yet to become a ghost."

Quick excerpt to what happened during one of their tutoring sessions:

"By the way Do Jun-a, how old are you?" Ha Rin asked uncharacteristically coy with a clear hint of mischief during their tutoring session.

"10. My birthday was last month." Do Jun answered straight forwardly not knowing what she is hinting at.

"I am 12. If I understand Korean culture correctly, you are supposed to call me Noona. Do Jun-a won't you call me Noona." Ha Rin teased. 

Do Jun sighed internally. He had been reborn into another body and in returned got younger than Ha Rin. He refuses to call her Noona, especially thinking about how much trouble she is going to cause in the future.

A/N: After a long time, I have finished the second episode. The next chapter will be an epilogue to tell you what happened during the time jump at the end of the second episode. What happened in the nine years?