EP 001 | KARINA

(  SHIPWRECK

(  SHIPWRECK.  )

The water licked greedily at my clothes as I clung exhaustedly to the drifting wood

The water licked greedily at my clothes as I clung exhaustedly to the drifting wood. Cold enveloped my body, while fatigue slept in my bones. Yawning emptiness reigned in my stomach, which is why a grumble sounded from it, and my throat was as raw as sandpaper.

My sense of time was carried away by the stormy wind of the sea. How long had it been since the ship on which I was a guest had been shipwrecked and the passengers had made a fight of it as to who was admissible to the lifeboats. A gap opened in my memories of how on earth I had only made it onto this gigantic piece of wood on which half my body lay while my hands tightly gripped the end.

How long had it been since I had eaten food? I had no clue.

My eyelids fell shut once again. I would have preferred to let exhaustion win and a deep sleep come over me; but the fear that I would not wake up squeezed into my ribs and filled my shell with an uncomfortable feeling. It kept me awake.

A sudden noise drilled into my auditory canals, trying to force an illusion of rescue upon me. Or so I thought. The sound grew louder and louder and within minutes I was able to attribute it to a small boat rocking.

My heart burst open and my chest welled with joy as energy raced through my entire body and I jerked my head up to keep a lookout for the source of the sound. A whole wreath of hope settled on me.

"Young lady, here!" I jerked my head around and looked to my right. Sure enough. A pretty woman with blue long hair and short bangs had her arm up and was waving at me anxiously. In her squeaky yellow raincoat, she pretty much stood out in this blue and gray area as she slowly sailed her little boat toward me.

"I'll be right with you!" she complemented herself before disappearing inside the boat, presumably steering the vessel in my direction. A thin smile fought its way onto my lips and my heart sent waves of reassurance across my body after the realization hit me that I would be rescued.

Before I knew it, the boat was as close as it could get to me and my rescuing log before the young woman whisked me aboard and introduced herself as Jimin.

*****

"You're really lucky to have survived that, YN," Jimin remarked when I had presented her with the tragic story that was still quite present in the air, and nodding in agreement. "I'm really glad you came across me," I whispered, and now a tiny grin was beginning to show on her face.

"Thanks again. For everything." After all, not only had Jimin rescued me from the water, but I was in a small room with a bed, wrapped in a fluffy blanket, while a steaming brew of tea stood before me. Jimin had pulled up a small chair and was looking at me as she engaged me in conversation. Earlier, she had quizzed me about what my favorite food was. Given the circumstances, I found the question a bit strange, but I responded and small comfort washed over my trembling heart. The shock was still deep in my bones. She was a good distraction.

Until we finally arrived at the topic of how this accident had come about in the first place.

Jimin's lips curled into a smile. "I'd love to. After all, there's no way I could have let you die there." I reflected her smile. Then our conversation lapsed into silence and I carefully reached for the tea.

"I'll bring you some dry, clean clothes in a minute," Jimin let me know as she slowly rose from the chair and gave me another full worry drunk look. Then she disappeared from the small cabin and probably marched into hers.

It didn't take her very long to come back. Clean clothes hung over her arm and a renewed smile had replaced the worry from her face. "Here you go. You'll get sick anyway, but it must be uncomfortable sitting in those wet clothes." Carefully, I placed the half-empty cup back on the small dresser beside me and accepted the clothes instead. "Thank you, Jimin."

How on earth was I going to repay her for all this?

"After you change, you can come into the kitchen. It's across the hall from your room. I'm sure you're hungry." Understanding, I nodded and waited until Jimin had pulled the door shut behind him before finally peeling out of my old clothes. Jimin's fit me surprisingly well. Neither were they too small, nor too big. They were comfortable, too. The long-haired woman had even left me waterproof shoes.

A warm feeling wrapped my heart and made my eyes shine.

Although we were strangers, took care of me. Even very well. I had nothing to complain about. My lips twisted into a smile before I opened the door and ran my eyes down the small hallway. The kitchen was unmistakably across the hall, and the door was spear-wide open so I could catch a glimpse of the working Jimin standing at the stovetop, stirring around in a pot. The long-haired woman didn't seem to have taken any notice of me yet.

Carefully (I didn't want to upset her), I pushed back one of the two chairs and flopped down on it. Apparently Jimin hadn't planned on having more than one other on deck at all. At least we were both taken care of.

Quietly, she hummed a tune that only she could feel in her body. Perhaps it was the rhythm of her heart or from the high seas; I had no answer.

The smell of the stew settled in the air, smelling extremely delicious, and my stomach grumbled angrily, wondering when it would get its next bite. In this situation, any edible food would be fine with me. Insatiable hunger bored a deep hole in my stomach and impatiently my foot bobbed up and down.

Jimin's tactful melody died away and silence enveloped the room. "That smells delicious," I finally brought out, finding the silence uncomfortable. Surprised, Jimin glanced over his shoulder. "You were quick," she commented with a grin, to which I only replied that hunger was driving me. With that, I elicited a deep chuckle from Jimin and my body clothed itself in goosebumps.

"It won't be long before I'm done with the soup. I hope you don't starve me before then," she quipped with a grin and I let out a soft laugh. "It's not that bad, don't worry Jimin. Anyway, I'm glad you're doing this for me." My voice pitch changed to serious and I heard a barely audible sigh from Jimin; maybe it was just my imagination?

"I'm really happy to do this, YN. I want to make your trip back to the mainland as comfortable as possible. So make yourself at home."