twelve: dansby swanson

*DISCLAIMER*
These imagines are a work of fiction. Any previous partner, spouse, sibling, child etc. are not taken into account most of the time. I have NOTHING against Dansby's wife - this storyline is just for the imagine! Enjoy!

(Also, Dansby's real name is James, which is referenced a couple times, for those who didn't know :) Dansby is actually his middle name)

Set in March 2024

Y/N walked through an empty Wrigley Field on a chilly March day wandering to her office. Opening day was a couple short weeks away and she still had some things to take care of.

When she was hired as the new team trainer, she hasn't expected to have her own office, or to be treated with so much respect. But the Cubs organization really outdid themselves when it came to how they treat their staff.

Just before she reached her office, she heard the faint sound of batting practice coming from the field.

Y/N made her to the dugout, emerging to the field to see who was out there. Sure enough, she saw her childhood best friend, Dansby, getting in some extra swings before the season.

The relationship between Dansby and Y/N was complicated. They loved each other as friends - nothing more. At least it seemed.

From day one Y/N knew she loved Dansby more than a best friend kind of way. And Y/N was always sure the feeling was mutual.

Until Dansby met Mallory.

And they fell in love.

And lived happily ever after.

Since their wedding a couple Decembers ago, Y/N and Dansby stopped speaking, after Y/N wasn't invited per Mallory's request. Hell, now that they were both on the same team it seemed like they still couldn't interact with each other.

And something about the way Dansby was practicing right now captured Y/N's attention. He was always an amazing baseball player - #1 in Y/N's eyes since the beginning.

After a few moments of peaceful watching, Dansby took a break and began to make his way towards the dugout where Y/N was sitting. She was momentarily looking away from Dansby and hadn't noticed he started to make his way towards her. When Y/N looked up, she noticed Dansby was closer.

Y/N hopped up and stood face to face with Dansby. They stood staring at each other for a moment before they both lightly laughed.

"Hey, Y/N/N," Dansby said, using the same nickname for Y/N he'd been using all those years ago.

"Dans." Y/N said, using her nickname for him. She wrapped her arms around the man and brought him in for a hug, as he immediately hugged the girl back.

The pair stood like that for a moment - the familiar, yet foreign feeling gesture feeling comforting for the both of them.

"I miss you." Dansby and Y/N said at the same time, followed by a laugh. The pair pulled away from their hug and made their way to the clubhouse to walk around inside.

"So fill me in on what's been going on." Y/N said. Dansby let out an airy chuckle and cracked his knuckles.

"Well, I'm getting along with the guys in the team great, I bought my own house, I'm searching for a dog, and I didn't think I'd be navigating Chicago on my own when I decided to sign here, so there's a lot of new things. I'm having to learn," he responded. Y/N's head whipped around towards him, and she cut him off by standing in front of him.

"By yourself?" Dansby sighed and looked at his feet, and scratched the back of his head. "There's a lot to say. Lunch?"

——————