Chapter 14

We pull up to a waterfront cabin. The setting sun making the dark wood of the cabin blend into the forest behind it.

I get out of the carriage and make my way to the shoreline.

"What a beautiful lake." I comment.

"Don't get too close. It's not a lake it is a bay. Pure ocean water in there." The captain shouts from the carriage. I take a step back from the water. The captain gets the boxes from the back and makes his way over to me.

"Come on. Let's go on inside." He leads me to the entrance and opens the door into the cabin.

Inside has a cozy fireplace and bookshelves along the walls with old books and trinkets lining the shelves. The floor and walls are covered with a bearskin rugs. The captain puts the boxes down at the front entrance.

"This is where we will be staying for the next few days. I will be staying in that room over there" He points over to the room at the fall end of the hallway.
"You will be spending the night right here. No point in sharing a room when there is no one else around here to take notice."

I give a curt nod.

"If that is all captain. I think I will head to sleep." As is routine, I hold out my hands for him to tie them up before I go to sleep. He reaches into his bag, then hesitates before looking at me.

"No need for that tonight. It is a small island." He takes a step closer and lifts my chin up to look me in the eyes.

"But if you try anything funny, I will make sure that you will face unimaginable suffering. Do I make myself clear."

"Very clear sir. Good Night."

He nods before retiring to his own room. Yes, I finally get to sleep without those horrible ropes irritating my wrists. I go quickly to my own room before he changes his mind.

I lay in bed and I am struck with a feeling of excitement. Is this my chance to finally be free? I could just run away right now. Sure, he says he will find me, but I could probably just stow myself away on one of those boats. But, what of Finlay? If I leave now, I am dooming him to be trapped on that boat. Augh, this could be my only opportunity to leave.

I let out a sigh. Maybe I will just step outside to clear my thoughts. I get out of bed and peek outside of the door. He does not seem to be nearby. If he comes out while I am walking, I can just say that I am getting a drink of water of something. I make a rush for the door.

I get outside and the only light nearby is coming from the cabin. Everything else is pitch black. Would I really be able to escape in these conditions? I make my way to the edge of the shoreline and sit down. What am I going to do now? I stare out at the dark water ahead of me. It looks so lovely and inviting.

I know. I will stretch out my tail and try to figure out how to swim. It is dark so no one will be able to see me and it is not as deep as the ocean so I am less likely to get stuck at the bottom forever.

I stand up and start taking off my clothes, so they don't get wet. Here goes nothing. I go into the bay and submerge myself into the water. I feel the transformation occurring, but I have got somewhat used to it after all my saltwater baths. After the transformation is complete, I feel myself hit the bottom of the bay. I open my eyes and I am vaguely able to see my surroundings.

Ok, I got this. I can figure this thing out. Maybe I just wiggle it.

I move my tail back and forth and manage to move a little bit, before sinking back down to the ground. I did manage to move though. So, if I wiggle the tail faster that could possibly work.

I wiggle my tail around as fast as I possibly can and this time I manage to get to the surface before I sink back to the ground. I do this a few more times but the furthest that I can get is the surface. On my tenth or so attempt, I manage to float on top of the water.