1|Day Job|

It's hot today. 

We're in the hot season here on Dantooine, and I can see the sweat dripping off my chin onto my bar. It's only midday, so there aren't a lot of patrons looking to drink yet, but I have a few people seated at my bar sipping away. It's quite a small tavern I work at. We can only seat 10 people at my bar and 15 more at the tables. We never really need that much seating midday, though. My little fan can only cool off myself and the three people sitting in front of me anyway.

I wipe the bar counter over and over to pass time. I'm working until we close today, so I have quite a lot of time to fill. The jukebox in the back left corner plays some old-timey songs at a low volume- enough to keep me entertained. I start with my busy work; cutting lemons, filling my bowls with various herbs for mixed drinks, refilling my liquor bottles. 

"Can I get another round over here?" a human-looking man with blue skin and piercing yellow eyes asks. I move to the left side of my bar to accommodate him and his friends.

"Another round of jet juice for you three?" I ask. All three nod their heads vigorously in confirmation. I grab the yellow-orange bottle from behind me and pour three more shots for them. Quite early to be doing shots...

"Thank you dearly, miss," the blue-skinned man says. He flicks me a silver coin. I smile and continue on re-stocking my garnishes. 

*

It's getting close to closing time now, and many more patrons have come in for a drink. I'm slinging alcohol in every direction, wracking up those tips big-time. On a Friday night like this, sometimes I leave with a whole sack of silver coins. 

In such a small village like this, everyone knows everyone, and everyone comes here Friday night. My regulars are sweet and always tip generously, even though I tell them not to worry about it. It's not a bad job. Kind of fun, actually. I like the hustle of a good rush.

As I'm shaking a Rancor's Breath mixed drink, an unfamiliar face peers into the tavern door to my right. I don't get many unfamiliar faces in here, so it catches my attention. I pour the drink over a glass of ice, and hand it to the woman in front of me. She hands me a few coins and turns to return to her table. I look to the door again just as a tall figure fully covered in shiny, silver armor steps inside my tavern. 

"Hey, welcome in! You looking for something to drink?" I call over to the figure. It takes a few cautious steps inside, closer to my bar. The metal helmet atop the figure takes a few glances around the tavern, looking at everyone enjoying their drinks. It takes another step closer to me and leans in. 

In a raspy, deep, modulated voice, it says in a hushed tone, "I'm looking for some directions to the nearest med-clinic. Or a shop that sells bacta spray." It's clearly a man's voice.

"Oh, I'm not sure the med-center is still open. They close when it gets dark out, but it's left out the door, all the way down the street, and then another left," I reply to the tall man. He lets out a sigh, visibly disappointed under the helmet. "I think I might have some bacta in the back, though. Give me a second." I turn around and go to the back room, where I keep my belongings. 

The back room is where we keep everything. One wall is covered in bottles of alcohol, cups, garnishes, napkins, cleaning supplies... literally everything we need to keep this place running. On the other wall, there is a row of lockers. Everyone who works here has their own locker, most covered in fun decorations and designs on the door. Mine, however, is pretty plain. All it has is my name tag and a porg sticker on it. I'm not big on decorations.

I go to my locker and put in the code to the padlock the door. Inside, I have my big brown shoulder bag, my cloak, and my concealed lightsaber. I dig through coins, some snacks, and finally the small vial of bacta I keep in my bag. I carefully lock my locker, and return to my bar, bacta vial in hand.

I look around my tavern. Left, right, front, back. The huge metal man is gone. He's pretty hard to miss, but he certainly is no longer in here. I slide the small bacta vial into my pocket, confused. Then, I return to my bar and continue working.

"That guy left in a hurry. Right when you went to the back room," one of my customers informs me. He looks just as confused as I feel. I shrug my shoulders and refill his cup with liquor.

*

Everyone has left for the night. I'm sweeping the tavern and picking up any trash left around. I wipe each table, then move to the bar once again. I start cleaning each glass, making sure everything is ready for whoever is working tomorrow. I get the day off, finally. I love my job, but it's nice to have a day to myself.

I start to count the money I've collected for today. 1, 2, 3, 4... 162. My share is 50% of the total income for the day. I pocket 81 coins and put the rest in the money lock box for the owner to collect in the morning.

I do my final closing tasks, and return to the back room to unlock my locker. I grab my bag and toss my coins inside. I hook my lightsaber in my belt and hide it under my large, long, dark grey cloak. I have to be careful with my saber. It's imperative that I keep it hidden.

I lock up the tavern and start on my walk home. It's very dark out now; I must've taken longer than usual to clean up tonight. There are only a few people still out this late, presumably walking home as well. I turn right out of the tavern and take a few steps down the street to the produce stand. A sweet older couple runs this produce stand, and they keep it open 24 hours a day. I always stop to get some dinner at their stand after work. 

"Good evening, Koda! What will you be having tonight?" the woman greets me. 

I smile, "I think I'll go with some potatoes, a few carrots, and a bunch of grapes, please!" I open my bag and she dumps my requests inside. 

"6 coins, please" she smiles at me.

Confused, I say, "Shouldn't it be 8 coins? I got the grapes, too."

"You're my most loyal customer. It'd be rude not to give you a discount every now and then!"

"That's very kind, but I can't take these for free. Here's 8 coins." I turn to walk away before she can protest. "Have a great night, and I'll see you tomorrow!" I call to her as I walk away. She shakes her head in disapproval, but smiles heartily. I continue down the road, toward the dark forest. 

My home is on the outskirts of the village, somewhat far away from everyone else. Most homes are on the north side of town, but I have the only home on the south side. My house is in the forest, completely hidden from sight. You have to walk down a long, dark dirt road in the forest to find my house. Sounds spooky, but I quite like it this way. I very rarely have people knocking on my door; only the occasional lost person looking for directions. It's nice and quiet and private. 

My walk home is roughly 20 minutes long. 15 minutes if I'm in a rush. I walk to the edge of the village's light, and start on the dirt path. I probably looks scary to others, but I've walked this path hundreds of times in the dark. I know every rock, log, and leaf in these woods.

A few steps in, and I hear a noise behind me. It sounds kind of like a whoosh. No leaves rustling or twigs snapping- probably just the wind. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I turn around to investigate. I look down the lit street but see nobody. I turn and continue into the darkness.

A few minutes later, I hear another sound behind me. It's the same kind of whoosh-y wind sound. Now, fully in the darkness, I whip around to see what made the sound. Still nothing. I reach into my cloak and rest my hand on the saber hanging from my belt, just as a precaution. I double-time my steps. 

Just as I reach my front door, I turn around one more time to see if there was anyone following me, or if it was just my mind trying to spook me. I see something metallic reflect the moonlight for a brief second deep in the forest, but it disappears instantly.

I punch in the code to my door, rush inside, and slam it shut, locking it immediately. I'm not sure what I just saw. Maybe I saw nothing. I'm probably just tired. It's been a long day.

I peek between my curtains on my window for a few minutes, making sure there was nobody there. I see and hear absolutely nothing. Must've just been in my mind. 

I set down my bag, lightsaber, and cloak on the kitchen counter. I shove a few grapes in my mouth before changing my clothes and passing out in bed. 

I fall asleep quickly to the sound of frogs and crickets chirping outside in the dark.