21|Yet Again|

Din lowers the ship onto the surface of yet another barren planet. There are no buildings in sight, no people, no... anything. It's similar to Nevarro, but with much less going on. Didn't know that was possible.

"Welcome to Lasan. Home of the Lasat people... We're looking for Zosu Dab. Wanted for the kidnapping and murder of a rebel general's daughter."

"A rebel's daughter? How do they have the money to pay for a bounty hunter?"

"I've learned it's better not to ask questions," Din tells me.

I peer outside the window of the ship as we settle onto the arid surface of this planet. It's less sandy than Nevarro was, but there's a whole lot of nothing. The hazy purple-grey sky settles onto the dusty ground at the horizon way in the distance. The surface of the planet is covered in tons of holes though; most large enough to fly a ship into.

"Are those caves?"

"I believe so. I've never been to the surface of this planet, but I've heard most of the people dwell in caves beneath the surface," Din explains.

"Why does every criminal decide to hide on the most barren planets in the galaxy?" I joke.

"It's pretty stupid, if you ask me," Din starts. "Why would you hide on a planet where there's nowhere to hide?"

I chuckle at him.

"Makes my job easier."

Din has become so much more open to me the longer I spend with him. I've gotten him to the point of actually speaking full sentences to me without me prompting them. He cracks jokes all the time now and he tells me about his adventures before I came into the picture. It's been amazing. This man has seen so much of the galaxy, and I love listening to the stories of adventures he has to tell. 

"So if they're all in caves, how are we going to find him?"

He taps the sides of his helmet. "You continue to forget I have all kinds of sensors and filters in my helmet. Heat signature."

"Ohhh. Yeah, sorry."

"You're going to stay with the ship," he points his index finger at my chest assertively, "I'm going to find and eliminate the target and be back by nightfall."

"Whoa, wait. I'm not coming with?" I must admit, I'm a little offended.

"We are not having a repeat of the last bounty we did."

"I'm just supposed to sit here while you risk your life?"

"Koda, you're a distraction to me. I work better alone, anyway."

Wow, that hurt.

He continues, "and we are not risking your safety this time. I was naïve enough to let my guard down last time, and look what happened."

"But, what if you go down anyway and there's no way for me to come help?"

"I won't go down." 

"But what if?"

"I will not go down." He opens the hatch of the ship and begins to climb out. "I promise. Hand me my jetpack behind your seat?"

"I'll have no way of knowing if you do!" I pull the jetpack out from behind my seat and hand it to him. He clicks it onto the armor piece that covers his whole back.

"Where's that com-link I gave you?"

"The what?"

"The transponder I gave you on the last mission."