Chapter 17 Worried Links and The Glory Glutton

With Azazel...

Shadow Link changed his appearance and Azazel gasped in shock when he recognized it.

Suddenly he wasn't in a castle and was instead standing deep in a snowy forest, looking at a boy not much older than him with black hair and green eyes.

Shadow snapped Azazel from his thoughts when he spoke, "What is it? Never seen disguising before?"

Azazel frowned, old memories fading away, barely leaving a trace.

Azazel's expression went back to his neutral serious one. "It's nothing. Let's just go."

He started to lead the way but as he glanced back at the disguised Shadow, he couldn't help but feel rage. He didn't dare let it show though.

...

Azazel lay in the bed, disguised as Shadow. He was pretending to sleep as his thoughts wandered. He felt angry but curious concerning Shadow's choice in his disguised look. Usually, he'd never let his curiosity lead him but he had to know.

Asrani entered the room and told him of the princess's connection to the hat. After that, he told her to tell Lord Vaati the next time she saw him. Asrani nearly left before a thought occurred to Azazel and he spoke up, "And Asrani?'

She looked back at him excitedly. He knew the look in her eyes too well. "Yes cuz?" She said.

"If Lord Vaati makes one of us watch Shadow Link, I call that job," Azazel told her.

"Okay..." Asrani sighed and left, obviously disappointed.

"It's not really that great to be 'perfect' you know," He mumbled but knew she was already gone.

...

With Shadow...

After Shadow had caught his breath, he and Vaati started to head back to his room. It was too late in the night to go to Ganon, it would be dawn soon. They would have to do it the next night. They saw Asrani, who looked serious which was surprising to Shadow considering what he had seen so far of her personality.

"Is there something wrong?" Shadow asked her.

Asrani turned to him, surprised he was there but became serious again. "Lord Vaati, the princess is connected to the hat and is suspicious. I led her away from our trail by using shadow magic on the guards and the first knight that was with her. Shadow's opposites were also there. If we steal the hat again we have to do it much later otherwise she'll know something's up. We have to be careful," Asrani reported.

Vaati took over. "Curse the princess for being so perceptive! I bet Ezlo connected her to the hat when he gave it to them!" He hissed.

Asrani stayed quiet, waiting for orders. Vaati stood there, thinking for a moment.

"As long as you and your cousin keep the princess off our trail and plans, it will be fine. Azazel can tail me and Shadow to observe the people around us, just in case I miss anything. You can keep watch of the princess and heroes when they are not near us," Vaati said.

Asrani gritted her teeth as Azazel's wish was granted without him even there. "Why does he get to tail you?" She growled.

"Because he's less likely to get caught, he's skillful in staying hidden. Plus he's more observant," Vaati snapped, irritated that she questioned him instead of obeying.

"Ugh! Fine!" Asrani hissed and left without another word.

It seems that there's conflict between the cousins. Maybe I can use that to my advantage. Shadow thought.