twelve: unfortunately i did

Karma

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!!" Nicole yells out behind the wheel, distressed. Marcus calmly says something under his breath to her: "Keep it together Red."

I'm sitting in the back, trembling, my mind racing with thoughts of what to do next.

It happened quickly, with both of them rushing in when Jacob got the idiotic idea to actually kiss me and when the even more of an idiot (me) allowed him to. They rushed in so fast that neither of us had time to react. There were gunshots, two I think, so quiet I could barely hear them, even with my superhuman hearing. Jacob grunted in pain and then he was down and I was screaming.

The events that followed next are a blur. All I remember is trying to fight Nicole, my heart beating in my chest so loudly that I could hear it in my ear, panicked at how badly the dark stranger was injured. I remember Marcus pulling me off of her and wrapping those special hand cuffs around my arms before I had the chance to fight him too.

He carried me to the car after duct taping my mouth and wrapping my legs together. My kicking and fighting was incomparable to his large frame and strength. I remember feeling a bit subdued and couldn't help but think there was some chemical in my restraints that was causing the haze in my head. It was by no means normal.

The car is an all black Escalade. I start talking to Jacob in my head, determined not to be a victim, to tell him everything I'm seeing so he can find my quicker this time, without them having to let me go. Who knows what they'll do to me this time? 

Jake, can you hear me? They will probably blindfold me soon. I'll try to tell you what direction the car is going if I can. Fuck, what else can I do? I plead with him, certain that he'd know the right answer. But there was no response.

Jake? I asked again. Nothing.

Jacob. I said, my heart beginning to pound again. Silence.

I started flailing again in Marcus' arms. I know we're close enough to communicate telepathically with each other, so it must mean that they've done something to him. And that's unacceptable. 

"What the fuck did you do?!" I tried to speak through the tape, thrashing around in his arms until his grip around my ribs tightened hard enough to make me squeal out in pain.

He stuffed me in the car like a rag doll, hopped in the passenger seat and waited.

Jacob, give me a sign that you're okay. Anything. 

The quiet I received in return was deafening.

So now, here we are, Nicole screaming behind the wheel and driving erratically. Me, in the backseat, tied up like a prized pig, helpless and completely alone. My cheeks itch where the tears have fallen and dried up. They didn't blind fold me this time, or knock me unconscious. I just feel extremely drowsy as I stare up at the car ceiling and listen to their conversation.

"I should've known better. What were we thinking? I told you we let them be together for too long. I told you if she were going to trigger his memory, it would've happened already. I told you! You wanted to push it, but I fucking told you this would happen!" Her voice sounds like a mixture of a few things - Pain, frustration, anger, hatred, sadness.

Marcus reaches out and strokes her hair, trying to cool her down. "He's gonna fucking kill me." I hear her voice crack This woman is such a conundrum to me. At times she appears stoic and harsh, other times she just seems... sad and emotionally unstable.

"Red, you have got to pull it together." Marcus says quietly and glances back towards me. He looks back at Nicole. "We can handle Jacob."

My ears perk up. So that must mean he's at least alive.