three. WE MEET AGAIN

three. we meet again
season one

BEN WAS LEANING up against the front counter of the café, almost ready to close the lobby

BEN WAS LEANING up against the front counter of the café, almost ready to close the lobby. It had been a long day and he couldn't wait to get home and go to sleep. Just as he was about to go get the key for the lobby, the door opened, and the bell rang throughout the store. At the moment, he was the only person working because Lia had gotten sick with some nasty bug. It was a good thing that he knew what he was doing. Being an assistant manager came in handy.

He opened his eyes and looked up, immediately standing up straight when he saw who it was. "I'm seeing you almost every day, it seems." Ben smiled, watching as the familiar brunette walked up to the counter, a five-dollar bill in his hands.

"Yeah, well, you make the best coffee." Spencer smiled. Ben hummed and nodded teasingly, winking at him. "Is that really the only reason, Einstein?" Spencer looked him dead in the eye and smiled knowingly. "Oh, 100%." Ben shook his head and turned around, starting to make the coffee. It was the same thing every time. Black coffee with two teaspoons of sugar.

He wiped the side of the cup just to make sure he hadn't gotten the coffee on it and set it on the counter, sliding it over to Spencer. He held out his bill but Ben shook his head. "It's on me, don't worry about it." Spencer furrowed his eyebrows and looked at him. Ben untied his apron from around his waist, pulling it over his head.

He walked out from behind the counter, making his way over to Spencer, who was only a few inches taller than him now that he actually thought about it. "Come sit." Ben walked over to a table in the back and took a seat. He looked over at Spencer, who was still standing right behind the counter. It took him just a moment before he processed the words, almost jogging over to the table. He almost ran into the corner of a table, a bit embarrassed when he saw Ben smiling softly.

"So, Einstein. What have you been up to lately?" Ben's hands were intertwined in front of him, laying on the table. Spencer only shrugged as he took a sip of his coffee. "The usual. Dead bodies, crazy people." He said nonchalantly. Ben couldn't help but laugh a little at his straight face. Spencer raised an eyebrow, wondering why he thought that was funny. "Sorry. I don't think that's funny, I was laughing at your face."

Spencer craned his neck back in surprise, looking at him in fake offense. "Excuse me?" Ben laughed a little more now, his smile bright and wide. Spencer watched him, his smile never once leaving his face. He's beautiful. Spencer realized what he was thinking and shook his head, trying to push those thoughts away. "Tell me a bit about you, Ben." Ben soon stopped laughing and looked at him, tilting his head a bit in confusion.

"What do you want to know?" Spencer set his coffee on the table and shrugged, resting his head on one of his hands. "Anything." Ben thought for a moment, going through anything in his brain that seemed appropriate to talk about at that moment without killing the mood.