eight. RETURN

eight. return
season one

BENJAMIN HAD TAKEN A prolonged break from working at the café for quite obvious reasons

BENJAMIN HAD TAKEN A prolonged break from working at the café for quite obvious reasons. He was still shaken up about the whole thing and wasn't even sure if going back to work today would even be a good idea. But, he had already taken 2 weeks off to give himself time to heal, and he was physically ready to get back to work.

He stared at his ceiling, the light that he forgot to turn off last night staring right back at him. He had his hands resting on his stomach, a pillow elevating his shoulder because it was still in a little bit of pain. He held a stoic face, yawning when he started to think about how tired he was.

Finally, he swung his legs over his bed and walked over to his closet. He threw on the first appropriate work outfit he found and grabbed a pair of shoes, walking out of his bedroom without even looking at his hair. He yanked his shoes onto his feet while he was walking to the kitchen, starting a pot of coffee. Yes, he works at a café, but he needed coffee then and there.

He leaned against the counter, trying to rub the haze of sleep away from his eyes. He felt his phone vibrate in his back pocket and fished it out.

Spencer: I know you're going back to work today, don't overwork yourself, alright?

Spencer: There's only one of you.

Ben felt a smile grow as he read the messages.

Ben: Don't worry about me, love, I'll make sure to get some help from the new employees.

Spencer: You better, Ben, or I swear to God.

Ben: I'm not even working a regular shift today, I'm only working 5 hours, I'll be okay, I promise.

Spencer: I'll haunt you if you're lying to me.

Ben: I'm counting on it, darling.

"Who's calling you darling, pretty boy?" Spencer nearly jumped out of his skin and practically threw his phone onto his desk. "Jesus Christ." He held his heart and took a breath. "Don't do that, JJ, seriously." JJ threw her hands up in defense with a smile.

"I thought you said you don't have a girlfriend." Spencer rolled his eyes and turned back to face the desk. "I don't." JJ raised an eyebrow. There was no reason to lie to her, so why. . .

Oh.

"Is it a boy?" JJ asked him and watched as he quickly shook his head, only making it seem even more possible. "No, no it's not." JJ could tell from the way that his cheeks were slightly tinted pink that she had most likely busted him. "If you say so. But if it is, that's no problem, you do know that, right?"

Spencer nodded his head, trying to get her go away. She smiled at her obviously lovesick friend and finally walked away, watching as he picked up his phone again.