Interview with Taran Matharu

Hi there! @JessicaBFry here, and it is my pleasure to introduce you to @TaranMatharu, author of Summoner: Novice which started out right here on Wattpad. We're kicking this off with a great party, and Taran has graciously agreed to let me interview him. So let's give him a warm round of applause!

Taran, thank you so much for joining us today. We've got some great questions for you, and I can't wait to hear your responses. So let's jump straight in.You mentioned in your Guardian article on your journey to loving fantasy and dealing with racism and bullying that your first book included an olive skinned boy named Narat and his wizard uncle Nilrem. Did Narat and Nilrem influence you or appear in Summoner?

Taran: The world building in that book was where I cut my teeth on fantasy. I found a love for jungles and forests, tribal warfare and creature creation, all of which appear in The Novice.

Jessica: Many of the sequences, particularly the scrying, invokes imagery similar to playing a video game. What impact did video games have on your story, and which ones do you enjoy playing?

Taran: I love videogames and there are certainly a lot of influences, specifically the power levels and mana. Scrying is also an influence, I liked the idea of controlling a creature seen through a screen of sorts in a fantasy setting. Another aspect is the collection of cool items and weapons and the exploration of the world, rather like an RPG.

Jessica: Many of the demons draw on mythological elements. Are they all connected to mythology in some way or are some creatures of the imagination or a combination? What influences helped you to create them?

Taran: Not all of them, there were many I made up myself like the Shrike, the Felid and the Canid. Others were a result of a love of world mythologies and cryptids. A lot of research went into finding those that would suit the summoner world and I discovered a whole load of new and awesome ones along the way. Japanese mythology was definitely my favourite.

Jessica: A common challenge in young adult fantasy novels is that the main characters are "skin characters" or "blank slates." They are kept generally blank to allow young readers to connect and envision themselves as that character, but that often makes them boring and allows secondary characters to steal the spotlight. But in Summoner Novice, Fletcher is relatable, has enough "vague" points that readers can imagine themselves as him, but he still has a personality, deals with consequences, and so forth. How did you accomplish this? Was that your goal starting out? Or did Fletcher just become this way?

Taran: I think that Fletcher began as an embodiment of my younger self and was slowly shaped by the events in the book. The great thing about YA is that the protagonist grows and changes throughout the story, given that the events take place in their formative years.

Jessica: The religious elements in the dwarf culture are some of the most fascinating in the book. In subsequent books, will there be continued analysis of the various races' religious beliefs and conflicts?

Taran: Yes, definitely. For example the elven caste system, separating the elves into wood elves and high elves will be feature, as well as more on dwarven women and the history of the dwarven rebellions. You also learn about orc culture, customs and warfare!

Jessica: You have written a couple short stories set in the Summoner world dealing with Rory and Arcturus. Do you plan on writing more? What additional challenges do the stories present as opposed to the novel?

Taran: Yes I do. There will be a short story called Summoner: Genevieve, which will explain how Genevieve came to Vocans. I might even continue Summoner: Origins!

Jessica: As a note to readers, these stories about Rory and Arcturus are available here on Wattpad and quite a fun read. Now back to you, Taran. Do you plan on focusing your writing in the Summoner world or do you have other projects that you're hoping to undertake? If so, would they be in the same genre, or would you like to move into other genres all together?

Taran: I have four projects outside of the Summoner world which I will be focussing on in 2017, though which I shall start with is yet to be determined. Two are science fiction and two are fantasy. I also have a spinoff idea for the Summoner world that may or may not work as a continuation. It's tricky! The good thing is I have too many ideas rather than too few.

Jessica: Each of the demons seems to have its own personality as well as pros and cons to owning it. With that said, are there any demons that are so terrible that there is no benefit to owning it, either because it causes such devastating consequences or because it cannot be tamed?

Taran: The Wendigo is a powerful, vicious demon that only feeds on rotting carrion. Its stench follows it wherever it goes and it is difficult to keep under control. It is handed down from Obadiah Forsyth to Zacharias Forsyth and features in book 2. I would say that is the last demon I would want to own!

Jessica: In some respects, your demons strike similarities with many of the Native American spirit animal tropes in various mythological incarnations, which creates intriguing layers. Is there any connection between a summoner's personality and strengths with the demons he captures and summons? Or is it all based on tracking and hunting skill?

Taran: I like to think that fate often takes a summoner to the demon most suited to them, though not always. Since demons and their owners merge their consciousness when infused, they rub off a little on each other too. Both personalities will become more similar because of this.

Jessica: As you continue on your writing journey (and we hope to see many more stories from you), what do you think will be your biggest challenge going forward? Or the challenge that you most look forward to embracing?

Taran: For me, it is choosing which series to focus on next. Of course, I won't be doing this until 2016, so I have some time to think on it. It is a career defining move and I may even choose a pen name for the more adult of the two science fiction books!

Jessica: That sounds wonderful! Well, all the best to you, Taran. I hope everything continues to go well for you, and I can't wait to read more stories from you. Now for the rest of you, we do have a dinner party component to this. You'll see a link here shortly with a menu specially made up for this event. It's inspired by Taran's favourite dishes and the Summoner world, and it's quite tasty, if I do say so myself. Be sure to check out the Facebook party.