Review of Sarah Benson's Born of Shadow

Review by JessicaBFry

A/N This isn't the typical format of my written reviews, but I did a spot for Born of Shadow on Talk Story to Me and didn't get around to doing a formal written analysis. So this will serve until I do.

Born of Shadows by SarahBensonBooks is an excellent young adult novel that is precisely the sort of fantasy novel I would have wanted to read as a twelve or fourteen year old girl. The main character, Kami, is a delight who also feels like the sort of character I would want to be friends with. Being an adult didn't dim my enjoyment of this book. But as a young reader, I think this book would have become one of my favorites precisely because of the character and what makes her who she is.

The story is easy to read while at the same time being filled with details of ancient and modern Egyptian history. Kami herself is in the States and comes from a difficult home life. It's one that sadly many young people have had to face, but Kami demonstrates strength and a decision to be kind, despite the constant disappointments she has had to face in her single parent home. She starts off on the adventure of a lifetime which soon goes awry. Nothing goes the way she planned, but isn't that the way it is with the very best of stories? Historical and mythological lessons are woven throughout including intriguing snippets of modern archeology.

And it isn't all about Kami. A mysterious woman with even stranger....shall we say...connections also weaves through the story. There's scarabs, a village of vanishing people, a ferret, and a cast of memorable characters.

The vocabulary is easily accessible for younger teen readers while still having enough variety to make it engaging. Pacing is even throughout. Chapters are fairly fast to read without excessive info dumping or brooding. Conflicts are established and then resolved in a timely fashion without ever losing the moment. All in all, this is an excellent story. Descriptions are kept fairly brief, and everything that is given is essential to the story.

This is an excellent first book in the series. Well written and engaging, it's a real pleasure. I highly recommend it, particularly for young girls who are in need of a good fictional friend and a deep love of Egypt. Enjoy! The link will take you here on Wattpad to read more or you can purchase a copy at Amazon or other online stores.