Chapter 24

Monday. December 5, 2022.

Valentina's POV:

The isolation I've subjected myself to over the weekend has been suffocating. I haven't left my apartment since Friday. I've just been in my bed, sulking and crying like an idiot.

I've also been thinking of course, about what happened, what's going to happen, and in the end my mind pictures only one thing— Sol stuck in that concrete box, alone, and suffering. Sol is strong but if she's in there long enough she will break.

They always do.

That image alone is what's keeping me going, I can't allow her to stay in that place for too long because of me...

I'm not gonna lie, I haven't made much progress in whatever plan I thought I was gonna come up with throughout this weekend. It's been frustrating and it's not helping my self esteem. If I'm going to help Sol I need to be in a better mind set rather than feeling like I'm stupid and useless which is what I'm currently feeling.

There's little I can do. I can't break her out, shit I don't even think I can see her. I have no idea what I'm going to walk into today when I meet up with the warden. I don't know if he's going to talk to me about taking Sol to court or try to convince me to keep this whole situation away from the DOC's ears.

Honestly I think that second option is what's going to be for the best. If Sol goes down quietly and remains in solitary then it'll be less messy than if we take this before a court.

Though if we do take this to court there's a possibility Sol could walk away with minimal punishment. I remember she told me that the drug lord she works for can give her access to good lawyers, corrupt lawyers but that's what makes them 'good'. She said Zetas didn't provide her with lawyers when she got caught because he likes to perform a test of loyalty. If someone snitched on him in court then he would take care of them and if they don't narc, well he'll know that person is reliable and they'll have earned a permanent spot in his good graces.

I honestly don't know. I don't know if that's a good idea.

Fuck. I need to get to her. She'll know what to do. She's smarter than me when it comes to these kinds of things. But like I said I don't even think that'll be possible. I doubt the warden will let her near me. I have to try though. This is the only concrete thing I've come up with and I won't give up and leave her in there.

But most importantly I have to keep this whole situation away from court. It'll get too messy and besides I know they can't leave her in solitary forever. They can't leave her in there for more than fifteen consecutive days, it's illegal.

After contemplating that information plus what I'm gonna say to Grimes when I show up, I finally force myself to get up and get dressed. I'm not gonna put on my uniform because I'm not officially back to work, technically I'm on paid leave.

After I look somewhat decent I grab my purse and keys and head out to Silverwater.

-

"How are you?" The warden asked, giving me a look of pity. I know he feels bad for what he thinks happened to me and I know he feels guilty for what he said to me on Friday. It's written all over his face.

I just shrugged and played with my fingers. He gave me a weak nod and sat forward on his desk. "I wanted to apologize for what I said last time I saw you. It was... it was fucked up and I disregarded your feelings. I'm sorry." He voiced while looking at me with regret.

I just nodded.

After a few seconds of silence he spoke up. "I want to know how you feel about this whole situation. What do you think should happen to Sol?" He asked which caught off guard a little bit. I didn't expect him to ask me this but I think I know what to tell him.