9

Vivan's thin lips opened and closed elegantly.

Haseena had heard him saying sweet words countless times. This time, however, she was heartbroken.

"Yeah, I'm awful. So are you here to take revenge against me on behalf of your fiancée?"

"You still haven't realized your mistake at this point," Vivan furiously added, "Mr. and Mrs. Mallik are already upset with you. Why can't you behave yourself? People out there are calling you small-minded."

"Yeah, I'm small-minded," Haseena admitted it openly. "I'm not a saint either."

"Haseena!"

Vivan could not help but knock on the car with his fist.

"You've really let me down. I've been trying hard to endure for the sake of our future, hoping that I'll be able to take over Sahay Corporation soon. What about you? Look at what you've done. Not only did you leave Summit and end up being jobless, but your reputation has also been ruined. Can't you push yourself a little harder?"

"I'm working hard."

'I'm working hard to consolidate my identity as your aunt, you scumbag.'
Vivan sneered with rage, "You're just working hard to bully Rebecca, aren't you? If you go on doing this, Rebecca is going to surpass you. Yes, she might have lower educational qualifications and she may have grown up in the countryside, but she's smart, diligent, and always burns the midnight oil..."

"Oh, you've actually noticed so many plus points in her," Haseena mocked.

Upon hearing that, Vivan thought that she was jealous. With that, he displayed a helpless expression.

"Now isn't the time to feel jealous, Hasi. You should understand the concept of the tortoise and the hare-"

"Who's jealous? Vivan, you ditched me and got engaged to her. What gives you the right to force me into working hard for you? Does it mean that you'll give up on me if I stop working hard? Actually, do you want a woman you love or a woman who matches your status and is capable of helping you?"

"If I'm not into you, would I waste my time meeting you here? Listen to me. Go home and apologize to Mr. Mallik, Mrs. Mallik, and Rebecca so that you can return to Summit soon," Vivan answered impatiently.
"What's the point of returning to Summit? No matter how hard I work, Rebecca is capable of ruining my achievements at any time." Haseena suddenly scoffed. "Actually, in your eyes, those achievements don't belong to me but to you who fought for them."

Her aggressive words made Vivan boil with rage. "If it hadn't been for me, could you have won the hotel project? Why won't you reflect on your weaknesses? No wonder you can't get along with everyone."

"You're right. You'd better stay away from me, then."

Haseena was so furious that her teeth chattered. Upon pulling open the door violently, she said fiercely, "Don't come and meet me anymore. I'm disgusted by your face right now."

"What are you saying?"

Vivan showed a grim expression arrogantly. "Haven't you looked at yourself in the mirror before telling me off?"

"Yes, I look terrible. I don't deserve to be with a noble person like you, Young Master Sahay."

Haseena gave a cold smile, then closed the door forcefully. She started the car which quickly drove out of view.
Vivan, who was left there, lifted his leg and kicked the tree beside him.

At that moment, Rebecca called him while speaking with an anxious tone.

"Vivan, you went to meet Hasi, didn't you? Just advise her nicely. Be easy on her."

At the thought of Haseena's unkind expression, Vivan could not help but say, "She treated you so badly, yet you're putting in a good word for her."

"I just have to help her. I empathize with her, actually." Dejected and aggrieved, Rebecca added, "From her point of view, I do seem like a robber who snatched her things away from her. Having said that, I'm not the one who can make decisions regarding the company's matters. It's my dad who decides it all. As for you, I'm truly in love with you. Despite knowing that you have feelings for her, I can't help competing for your love. Will you blame me for being too selfish, Vivan?"

If this had happened earlier, Vivan would have actually blamed her.

However, when he recalled Haseena's lack of effort to work toward their future together, he suddenly felt that Rebecca loved him more than Haseena did.
There was nothing wrong with loving someone.

All of a sudden, he felt a twinge of guilt. "No, I've never blamed you. Don't think too much."

"Okay, Vivan. I'll work hard so that you can take over Sahay Corporation. I know you're planning to work on a project with the Campbell family these days, which is why I'm in frequent contact with Janet..."

Vivan finally saw why she did that. Deep down, he was rather sympathetic toward Rebecca as he knew that it was not easy to get along with Janet. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it. I'm willing to do anything for you."

It was the first time Vivan went blank. He wondered if it was worth going to great lengths to win Haseena's heart back.

...

A Maserati moved along the wide road.

Throughout the journey, Haseena shivered as she felt both physically and mentally icy.

Never did she expect that she and Vivan would one day end up being so harsh to each other. It left her wondering whether he was the one she used to love. Why would he lose faith in her, have a bad impression of her, and act selfishly?
It could be because she had never penetrated his mind.

Shortly afterward, her phone rang.

It was a call from Salma. It was the first time Haseena received a call from Salma since she left the house.

Haseena knew for sure that the call was not about letting her return home, yet she answered the call in spite of herself. "Mom-"

"Don't call me 'Mom'. I don't have such a cruel daughter!" Salma's angry voice came from the other end. "Come back and apologize to your sister right now!"

Haseena was extremely aggrieved. "Why don't you ask Rebecca what she did to me? She-"

"Your sister is kind-hearted, unlike you. All you've done is have a falling-out with Janet. The Campbell family is one of the wealthiest families. Your sister deliberately established a rapport with Janet to ensure that the Mallik and Campbell families would get along well.

"What about you? You did so many evil things and even hurt your sister. How did I end up raising such an ill-bred daughter like you?"
"I won't go back." Haseena gritted her teeth.

Salma roared, "Don't ever come back, then. I won't treat you as my daughter anymore!"

Haseena inhaled deeply. "Have you ever been concerned about me? Before she returned, you always thought that I wasn't as good as others no matter how hard I worked. You wouldn't talk to me apart from telling me off. Am I really your daughter?"

After she howled in pain, her tears gushed out.

Indeed, she was overwhelmed by frustration. She did not feel like returning to that home anymore.

She then pulled herself together and headed to a pet shop to ask about matters related to soothing a cat's stomach.

It was the first time that the owner who reared a cat heard about soothing a cat's stomach. He eventually handed her a book entitled 'Food Recipes for Pregnant Cats'.

"Anyway, the recipes in here incorporate all the nutrients that a pregnant cat needs. There shouldn't be any problem if you prepare food for your cat based on this book."
After some thought, Haseena bought the book and headed to the supermarket to buy some ingredients.

...

At 4 P.M., she returned to Jadeite Bay.

When Fudge noticed her return, she meowed sluggishly and snuggled in her corner without moving.

The sight made Haseena even more heartbroken. With that, she decided to go the extra mile for Fudge to make things up to her.

Considering that the cat needed to take light food, she prepared a few salmon balls and included carrots and steamed vegetables in them.

In addition, she made the cat a few puddings as a snack.

Anubhav got off from work and returned home in the evening.

Through the glass door of the kitchen, he saw Haseena busy cooking vegetables. One minute she was cutting vegetables and the next minute she was cooking them.

The delicious smell of the vegetables wafted through the crack of the glass door and stimulated his stomach. He was slightly hungry all of a sudden.

As Anubhav glanced sideways at the table, he noticed the puddings, which were shaped like Hello Kitty, on a white porcelain platter. With their bright colors, the puddings looked quite appetizing.
He casually took a spoon to eat some pudding. It tasted quite different from the puddings he had eaten overseas in a Western restaurant back then.

The taste was strange. It appeared that the pudding contained chicken and some unknown ingredients, yet it was not too greasy. It was probably fine to have a few more mouthfuls of the pudding.

He had long since known that Haseena was good at making breakfast. However, little did he know that she could make creative desserts as well.

"You're back, Anu."

When Haseena slid open the door to come out of the kitchen with a platter filled with freshly cooked food, she was astonished to see Anubhav who had almost finished the pudding that he was holding.

Gosh, that was cat food!

Her stare made Anubhav feel a little uncomfortable. He reckoned that she was inwardly elated to see him eating the dessert she made.

At this thought, he coughed lightly and cleared his throat. "The dessert you made... tastes quite great."

"..."

Haseena quivered, seriously wondering whether he would kill himself after she told him that the dessert was meant for the cat.
After flipping between her conscience and life for some time, she eventually forced a smile. "I purposely made it for you. Good to know that you find it delicious."

Anubhav glanced at her arrogantly. "You just need to focus on Fudge."

"I know, I know." Haseena nodded with a loving expression. "I just can't help myself."

Anubhav continued to stare at her icily.

Haseena could hardly maintain her loving expression. How could he be unmoved? Was he even a man?

Luckily, Anubhav carried Fudge and put her in his arms before changing the subject.

"What did she eat tonight?"

"Salmon balls. She doesn't like vegetables, so I added some carrots to the salmon balls. She has finished all six salmon balls."

As soon as Haseena finished her sentence, she began to have suspicions regarding Fudge's appetite. She was told that cats ate very little, yet Fudge had such a big appetite.

"Alright."

"I'm done preparing dinner. You can start eating."

Haseena placed forks and spoons on the table. She had prepared Caesar salad with boiled eggs, lettuce, and butter croutons for dinner.
Looking at the salad, Anubhav felt that it was comparable with the quality of food served in restaurants.

"It's better to avoid eating meat and take lighter food at night," Haseena explained.

Anubhav was surprised. "You're already quite health-conscious at this age."

"My dad has gastric pain as he drank a lot for business back then, so I know a little about taking care of one's stomach."

At the mention of this matter, Haseena became upset in spite of herself. Unfortunately, Shehbaaz had never seen her in a positive light.

Anubhav, who was unbothered by matters related to the Mallik family, lowered his head and continued to eat.

It was undeniable that Haseena's cooking was wonderful. The meal that she made might seem ordinary, but it tasted much better compared to the food served at restaurants out there.

Even the ordinary boiled eggs tasted good while the lettuce and croutons were crunchy. The salad was very appetizing overall.

With a great appetite, Anubhav finished the meal in several gulps.
After he was done eating, he praised her, "Great cooking."

"Thanks."

Haseena acted shy and felt flattered for a while.

"Since young, I've been determined to be wife material for the sake of my future husband. All I hope is to provide him with good food every day after he gets off work."

She glanced in the opposite direction as soon as she finished speaking.

The man looked downward, patting the cat on his lap. His thick eyelashes that resembled a crow's fur had obscured the emotion within his eyes.

All of a sudden, Haseena felt nervous. The man then lifted his head and opened his eyes lazily. "What are you waiting for? Do the dishes now."

"..."

Where did this stubborn man actually come from? He was such a wet blanket.

After bringing the dishes to the kitchen, Haseena kept badmouthing him with gritted teeth. At that moment, she even began to seriously doubt her beauty.

When Anubhav stood up and got ready to head to the study, he suddenly caught sight of a book entitled 'Food Recipes for Pregnant Cats' on the living room's couch.
He frowned, wondering if Haseena had found out that Fudge was pregnant.

Coincidentally, Haseena came out of the kitchen after doing the dishes. When she saw him holding the book, she explained, "I went to the pet shop today. The owner told me that the recipes for soothing a cat's stomach are actually similar to the ones for pregnant cats, so I bought this book."

Anubhav's eyes relaxed. It seemed that she was still unaware of it...

As he casually flipped through the book, he noticed a familiar recipe all of a sudden. His handsome face froze.

After a while, Anubhav lifted the book and showed Haseena the picture above. "So this is the pudding you purposely made for me, is it?"