Prologue

1900 - Gwangju, South Korea

Right around the bottom of a mountain known for its diverse population of flora and fauna, a simple urban village with culturally rich residents existed. The rich essence of nature's finest offerings were scattered across every corner of the village. The summer heat and smell of soil was evident in the atmosphere.
It wasn't exactly the ancient times but Guri was very different from other villages. The people who resided here preferred to follow and abide by their ancient customs and traditions. They deliberately distanced themselves from the modernised cities and the changing culture.
It was one of the very few villages in the country in which the civilians considered themselves proud followers of the choseon dynasty, the last kingdom of Hangul. A kingdom that was nearing extinction.

( Real photos of urban villages in Korea in 1900s)

The village carpenter was headed off to the forest that surrounded the village. He was a man with striking features, sharp eyes, muscular body and adequate height. On one hand he held a shiny metal axe and with the other he pushed the wheel barrow which would later be used to stack endless piles of wood he would have chopped from trees at the forest. It was a Job the latter had to do once every week.
He knew every nook and corner of the forest like the back of his hands and he was also smart enough to defend himself from wild animals.

He spent hours at the forest, chopping wood and tieing them up together to make sure they don't fall off.
The said man was on a look out for the wood of redwood trees for a specific woodwork he's been creating. The last couple of months he had chopped off almost every one of the said trees that were scarcely scattered around the immediate woods and now he was obliged to look for more.
Plenty of redwood trees could definitely be found in the westside of the forest but the only problem was that the said area was not usually habituated by the people of the village.
It was an area with dramatically thick canopies of widely spread trees. Thorny shrubs and densely packed bushes took over the place and it was indeed a very favorable area for predators.
However those weren't the only reasons people feared the Westside.
Every once in a while there had been cases in which teenagers and villagers stumble across the westside but most of them don't return and the few who do find their way back home end up killing themselves within the next couple of days.
Thus people believed that the said land is a cursed place, few even calling it the 'dark forest'.