2 | Discussing the Mind Stone

CHAPTER TWO | DISCUSSING THE MIND STONE

In the Avengers Compound, Rhodey is on a holographic video call with Secretary Ross. "Still no word on Vision?" Ross asks.

"Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh," Rhodey tells him.

"On a stolen Quinjet with five of the world's most wanted criminals."

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?"

"My God, Rhodes, your talent for horseshit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here."

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

"That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that."

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore."

Steve, Natasha, Sam, Wanda, Vision, and I all walked into the room. Ross didn't look happy to see us.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve acknowledges.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that," Ross tells Steve.

"You could use some of that right now," Natasha said.

"The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

"Arrest them."

"All over it," Rhodey says. He swipes his hand, disconnecting the call. "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap." He shakes his hand and hugs Nat.

"You too, Rhodey."

"Well, you guys, really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five-star," Sam says.

"Work with what you got, right?" I joked.

"Uh, I think you look great." We all looked to see the return of Bruce. I haven't seen him since Ultron happened. "Yeah, I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce," Natasha greets him.

"Nat."

"This is awkward," Sam says. Wanda, Vision, and I just look at him.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

We all talk in the meeting room about what to do next and Bruce explains something that I didn't think I would face in my three years as an Avenger.

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey asks.

"And they can clearly find us," I said.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce asks.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families. They're on house arrest," Natasha tells him.

"Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man," Steve answers.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man? Okay, look... Thanos has the biggest army in the Universe. And he is not gonna stop until he gets... Vision's stone."

"Well then, we have to protect it," Natasha says.

"No, we have to destroy it. I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, its composition," Vision said. He looks at me and Wanda. "I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... Its molecular integrity could fail." My eyes go wide as I know what Wanda and I have to do.

"Yeah, and you, with it. We're not having this conversation," Wanda tells him.

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."

"That's too high a price."

"Only you both have the power to pay it." Wanda walks away.

I shook my head in disbelief. "Vision... you are my best friend and Wanda loves you. Don't do this," I pleaded. "I'm not losing you."

"Thanos threatens half the Universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should. We don't trade lives, Vision," Steve says.

"Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people. Tell me, why is this any different?"

"Because you might have a choice. Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another," Bruce explains.

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" I asked. He turned toward me.

"I'm saying that... If we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

"Can we do that?" Natasha asked.

"Not me. Not here."

"Well, you better find someone, and somewhere fast. Ross isn't exactly just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back," Rhodey says.

"I know somewhere," said Steve.