Prologue

•Disclaimer: This story will follow each episode's storyline (somewhat) with some added details or situations. This is told through the eyes and ears of the main character, she will have opinions!•

The music is far too loud. Does it really have to be so loud? It echoes in my ears so much so that I can't hear my own thoughts. Though, by some miracle, I can hear every conversation going on around me. Some are talking, well screaming, about finals. Some are talking about ordering more shots. I almost laugh, as if the group of drunken frat boys dressed as pirates need any more liquor.

Yet, all I can think is; I should have stayed in. I bring the vodka soda to my mouth and finish the drink, savouring the burn on the way down. My judgement hasn't been on its best behavior tonight. Tossing the rest of my drink back so quickly probably wasn't the best idea. I set the glass down onto the table and lean onto the pool stick for support in my dreary state. I let my eyes drift shut for a second, one blissful second where my head doesn't feel as if it will explode.

My hand slips down the pool stick and I gasp. Almost falling onto the table, thankfully, my other hand stops me. The polished wood creates a loud smack against my palm that sends a sting shooting up my arm. I feel eyes on me and my cheeks suddenly grow red. I push a slow breath out, attempting to wake myself up and muster up the courage to stand up tall. Finally, I shoot a glare at the couple sitting on the bar stools across from the pool table. I can already hear them chuckling.

I should have stayed in.

"You falling asleep over there?" A deep voice chuckles and I take a breath to keep from smacking him over the head with the pool stick.

Maybe I should. It could get me kicked out of this place.

I rub my forehead a few times, feeling the headache growing worse. I plaster a smile on my face, hoping it's believable. "Not on your big night!" I exclaim, setting the pool stick down and making my way over to the table. "I wouldn't have missed this for the world." I pull my sweater down over my hands, feeling a chill rise up my spine.

He laughs gently but I notice the tiny hint of guilt on his face. "It's just an interview," he mumbles, clearly embarrassed at all the attention he's receiving. Sam has never been one to brag or be proud of himself in any way. I've always thought of him as the complete opposite of his brother, not only in looks but also in personality.

"Sam! Are you kidding?" Jess squeals next to him as she tousles his hair. Jess insisted on dressing up tonight for Halloween, I for one, was not planned for the coming holiday. They smile at one another and kiss sweetly.

My eyes wander down to my shoes. Yes, I'm very happy for Sam. Yes, I love him. But honestly, I'd rather be buried in my bed right now with some kind of ice cream and mourning my academic failure. I chew on my lip a moment, my eyes wandering about the bar as Sam and Jess talk amongst themselves. I clear my throat.

"You know, actually, I think I'm gonna head home." I grab my jacket off the back of the bar stool and throw it over my shoulders.

"No, stay!" Jess pleads.

I wave both of them off. "You guys stay and have fun, I have another midterm on Monday that I really should be studying for."

"Are you sure?" Sam asks, his eyes boring into mine. I nod a few times, untucking my hair from my jacket. He gives me a knowing look, as if he can read my thoughts. "Okay, we'll see you back at the apartment, then." He smiles and I take that as my ticket to leave.

After congratulating Sam, again, I finally worm my way through the crowded bar and find the door. Bumping into a few clowns, zombies, and vampires. Sam and I have been roommates since we first started at Stanford, but I've known him far longer than that. I push the door open and feel as if I can finally breathe again.