one

CHAPTER ONE

̶̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶       ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶

ICE CUBES floated to the top of the glass the frozen water clinking against the sides of the cup as a calloused hand grasped the glass, it moves swiftly through the air until landing on a pair of full lips

Elyza Merlo's grin stretched from ear to ear as her brother's voice filled her ear, the familiar sounds of his voice drowning out the rowdiness of the rest of the bar, no longer could she hear the jukebox playing music or the mindless slurring of drunk middle aged men swapping stories from the bottom of a beer bottle.

The liquor ran down her throat scratching an itch that had been aching all night, her nose scrunched up a little as a pant of flavor attacked her tastebuds overwhelming her senses for a quick couple of seconds distracting her concentration.

Issac watched in as he spoke fondly grasping a beer bottle, "do you want have some of the real stuff?" He teased, waving the stained glass bottle in front of her face.

Elyza's nose screwed up in disgust, "it's bitter and disgusting, I would rather drink straight pee from a dirty toilet bowl then ever let that drink anywhere near my tastebuds."

"Says the one drinking whiskey." He counters. "Whiskey and coke tastes like dirty Pennie's."

"It does not." She laughs placing her glass back down on the bar.

A large long haired man crept past the brother and sister duo as they talked, Issac's words were cut off abruptly as he glanced meekly over his shoulder.

"He pickpocketed me." Issac said pointing out a much taller long haired brunette making his way towards the exit, Elyza sighed slapping money against the counter.

"I got this." She groans getting steady on her feet. Her fingers ghost through her dark locks as she begins to trail behind him, stepping around drunkards and the sober idiots.

Her hand catches the door before it shuts completely and she steps out gravel crunching under her black boots, the cool harsh air forcing her to pull the black jacket taut against her body.

"Excuse me," Elyza called, jogging a little to keep up with his long strides.

The stranger turns abruptly finally giving the woman a better glance at her face, he was everything that she wasn't expecting. Definitely not the pickpocketing strangers in a bar type, but who was she to be a judge of character.

"I think you have something that belongs to my brother," Elyza smiled weakly, if anyone could even call it that - it felt more like a grimace.

"I think you have the wrong guy." He lied quickly.

Elyza had to give him credit, he was ballsy for being to blatantly lie to her face. There was a moment of awkward silence as they stared at one another, until, a familiar presence appeared at her side.

Issac grinned cockily and reached out grasping the stranger's arm before he could turn away, they both freeze and she leans forward catching a glance of her brother's eyes. There's a flash of realization in his eyes and then nothing.

"Sorry dude, we have the wrong guy." Issac apologizes and reaches out grasping his sisters sleeve quickly whisking her across the parking lot to a car.

"He stole from you," Elyza whispers loudly in his ear digging in her heels as they finally come to a stop.

"It doesn't matter." He quickly responds dropping her hand. "Just get in the freaking car."

Elyza side eyes her brother before complying quickly, "what did you see?" She questions cautiously.

"It was nothing." He quickly responds starting the car, his free hand coming up to squeeze the steering wheel.

She furrowed her brows and tucks her bottom lip between her teeth chewing on it anxiously, the drastic change in mood had given her whiplash. Issac's silence spoke a lot of words and yet - it didn't give her any answers.

"The good news is I know a really great hotel we can stay at."

She chuckled a little and leaned her head against the window letting her eyes flutter to a close as the vibration of the automobile soothed her.

Issac exhaled softly and stared ahead, whoever that man was, his head was a mess and clearly he needed extensive years of therapy - it was a mystery and perhaps, this could be the case that they had been looking for.

̶̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶       ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶