Routine

I ran my hand over the steel bars that held the mattress over my head. The steel was smooth- no scratches in it whatsoever. I wasn't sure how it could have been here so long and yet sustained no damage. I'm not sure why I had stooped to thinking of the most meaningless things. Perhaps it's a way to keep from thinking about the move I was going to be doing today. Sighing, I sit up from my messy bed. Last night had been hell. Tossing and turning all night, sleep never came to me.

Two years ago, I had the most unfortunate luck. While things never really came easy to a street rat in the first place, I hadn't ever expected it to come to this. Two years ago, the worst day of my life happened. It all happened so fast that even to this day I still can't remember everything.

*Flashback*

I had just gotten out of school for the day. Clouds overhead rumbled and groaned, letting its intention to leak its contents be known. Any minute now and it would start pouring- the sky dark grey and the sun was nowhere to be seen. Hidden well behind the clouds. More than anything I wished I would've made the bus that day.

I don't know what made me think going into a dark alleyway was a good idea. All I was thinking about was getting home to play some video games. The only thought in my mind was that this would be a shortcut to get home faster. Turning a corner halfway down the alleyway- I froze in place.

'What the hell is that?' Everything in me filled with dread. My arms became heavy and my stomach turned. As much as I tried to hold it in, I couldn't. The food I had eaten earlier came hurtling out, making me choke on the thick and slimy contents. The only thing I could hear in the alleyway was my gagging and choking. Clawing at my throat- I willed myself to pull out my phone, needing to call 911.

Shakily, I unlocked my phone and clicked on the little phone icon at the bottom of my screen. My vision blurred slightly from the tears in my eyes. The phone beeped every time I hit a number. One beep. A 9 popped up on the screen. A second beep- and I heard a click. A 1 on the screen. Brushing off the click- I go to type the last number. I may have been shaken up from what I found but I had to do this. The poor girl doesn't deserve to be left here. What of her family? They would be heartbroken.

As I typed the last number in and go to hit the call button- I felt cold steel press against my forehead. Freezing- I silently curse myself for being so slow calling the police. How could I not think that the killer might still be nearby.

"Drop the phone and lift your hands up." A deep voice says, muffled by whatever mask he was wearing. I didn't want to drop my phone, but with a gun to my head I didn't have much choice. I dropped the phone- wincing as I heard the screen crack. Another wince as he stomps on the phone, crushing any hope of calling for help

"Now put your hands up on the wall. Don't make me ask twice or I might have to remind you who has the power here." The cockiness in his voice irked me to no end. The only thing on my mind at the moment, no matter what, was to survive. If he had killed her, this poor girl I found, I was positive he wouldn't care to do the same to me. So, I obeyed.

"You're smarter than you look. Slide down onto your knees." He commanded. Anxiety and fear wormed it's way into my gut, making me feel as though I might throw up again. My legs slowly give, following his command and getting onto my knees.

A cloth bag was shoved onto my head, tied tightly in the bag. The canvas cloth made it hard to breathe and I gasped for air.

"Shhh don't struggle. It'll only be worse if you make me angry." He slid his arm around my throat, pulling me into a headlock. I thrashed, kicking out at what I thought would possibly be him. Kicking out for something, anything to make him let go. I couldn't get any oxygen in my lungs- my chest heaved and burned. I tried to bite through the cloth but he was smart enough to not have his hands anywhere near my face.