EIGHT.

EVELYN

We stayed at the bar for a few hours. Any hopes I had of studying tonight went out the window as Michael and I sat here, talking and drinking. We hadn't drank too much, I had only had 3 and I was sure Michael had less than I had. We were talking about school, figure skating, hockey and so much more. He was currently laughing at something I had said. I might have let it slip that Luke is a figure skater... or was a figure skater. "No way! I can't imagine Luke as a figure skater." He said, shaking his head as he continued to chuckle. Reaching into my jacket pocket, I pulled out my phone and went into my photos, scrolling until I found photos of Luke and I on the ice. "We were pairs partners, actually. Nation title winners multiple times when we were kids." I handed my phone over to Michael so he could see the pictures.

"Why did he stop?" Michael asked, seemingly interested in his friend's life. Apparently Luke never told the boys that he had been a skater, and he was definitely going to kill me when he found out I told Michael. I shrugged. "He found music. Picked up a guitar and never looked back. Mom couldn't afford skating for the two of us and music lessons for him on top of that so he gave up skating. I couldn't find another male skater who I clicked with so I became a singles skater." I explained to him, finishing off the last of my third drink. Luke and I still skated together sometimes. It was very rare but still as magical as it was when we were children. There was no better skating partner for me than my twin brother. "Do you wish you were still a pairs skater?" Michael asked and I shook my head. I had been a singles skater for many years and preferred it now. "Not as much any more. I wouldn't want to skate with anyone else but Luke so it was the right decision and I wouldn't change it." He seemed satisfied with my answer.

"If you tell Luke that I told you, or showed you these pictures; I will hunt you down." I said, giving him a stern look but all he did was laugh, pushing himself up and out of his seat. "Ya know, we have hockey tryouts soon, one of our teammates dropped out of school so we're one short. Maybe Luke can try out." Michael suggested and I shrugged, reminding myself to tell him about it. He wouldn't hate it and I'm sure Luke would be just as good at it. He seemed to be good at everything he did. It made me jealous. "Come on. I should get you home." Michael said and he held his hand out towards me. I took it without thinking and let him pull me up, leading me out of the bar and back into his Jeep. Michael opened the door and swiftly took hold of my waist, lifting me up into the passenger seat. I went to protest, telling him that I can do it myself but he shut the door before I could say anything and went over to the drivers side, hopping in himself. Michael was sweet but every one of our interactions confused me. When we met around a month ago, when Luke and Michael became roommates, I swear he hated me. This was the most we had ever spoken to each other, our previous interactions having been short and quiet. And then the kiss happened. I hadn't realised I had been staring at Michael until he waved his hand in front of my face. I blinked and quickly averted my eyes, looking at the road. We were stopped at a traffic light. "What'cha thinkin about?" He questioned and I shook my head, telling him nothing. He chuckled.

Soon enough Michael pulled up out the front of my apartment building, turning the car off and hopping out, heading over to my side and opening the door once more. He was such a gentleman. At least he was to me, currently. I had heard around campus that Michael was a bit of a punk, liked to get into fights; which I had almost witnessed the other week. He was a big party dude who enjoyed sleeping around and was notoriously known for shoving players into the boards during hockey games. I tried not to think about these things too much, wanting to enjoy my time with him; not knowing what the next day would be like. Michael seemed to act differently around me everyday. Sighing slightly, I slid out of the seat, landing softly on my feet as Michael reached through the back window to grab my skating bag. His body pressed against mine as he did and I wanted to sink into the feeling but instead I pressed myself further into the side of the car, trying to create some space in between us. Michael let out a breathy chuckle and placed my skating bag on the ground next to us, his arms coming to stop on either side of me, caging me in and keeping me pressed against the car. This man knew exactly what he was doing and it drove my inexperienced mind absolutely crazy. His lowered his head so his lips were by my ear and pressed his lower body against mine.

Butterflies erupted through my whole body, the feeling of his body against mine making my skin flush. I didn't want the feeling to ever go away. Michael placed a soft kiss behind my ear and chuckled as he noticed my hesitation to touch him. He trailed his fingers across my cheek and came to rest at the base of my neck. "Relax, Ev. You're so tense." He said softly, and I hadn't even realised how tense my muscles actually were until he pointed it out. My eyes fluttered closed and I felt my whole body relax into him as he started leaving little kisses across the marks he made a few days ago. God. This man is going to be the death of us. My hands came to rest on his hips, gripping his shirt as my mind finally deciding what to do with them. "Tell me what you want. Use your words, baby." He urged, his torturously slow kisses continuing; his hand never leaving the base of my neck.

His words did all kinds of things to me. My mind was scrambled, hardly able to focus on anything but the feeling of him. What did I want? I wanted him. Needed him, even. But not like this. I couldn't focus, couldn't think. Letting out a soft sigh, I moved my hand and placed it on his chest, pushing him back slightly. He immediately stopped what he was doing and backed up slightly, looking at me. "I can't... I'm not.." He raised and eyebrow and I could tell I was about to start rambling so I reached down and picked up my skating back, leaning over to place a small kiss on Michael's cheek. "Goodnight, Michael." I said, moving out of his reach and heading towards my apartment. He didn't say anything as I did. I didn't want to leave, but I had to. I was so confused, so overwhelmed. I lost all sense when I was around him. I reached my apartment quickly, my skin still feeling like it was on fire even as I walked through my front door.

a/n

hey everyone! just checking in. i'm currently on break from classes so there will be a few more updates in between now and jan 23rd when my classes resume.

let me know what you thought of the chapter!

xx