CHAPTER SIX

FOE OR ALLIE?

The screeching of birds entered through Paul's lovely dream. His eyes immediately opened. The sight of the short creature which was a few distance away from him caught his attention. The short creature was whistling a sweet nursery rhyme, while ripping a human's belly open, with its nails.

The body lied on a metal slate. Paul's body turned cold immediately, witnessing the short creature tossing some of the flesh inside its disgusting mouth.

"Men," it said, tossing an eyeball on the concrete floor leaving blood stains behind.

The few unfamiliar birds, with grey feathers, long necks and scarlet eyes, appeared from the nowhere, flying for the eyeball on the floor. They dug their claws and beaks on each other, fighting over it.

Paul's eyes widened staring at the horrifying scene. His eyes caught the sight glass jars with human organs inside, on the shelves.

"Now children, long time since I have seen one."

It turned to face Paul. It left yellow predator eye catching Paul's attention.

"Where is Pam?" he sought courage and asked, his voice shaky but firm.

"The other one? It be here soon," it replied, it eyes not daring to leave him.

"Are you going to eat us?"

A terrible laughter broke from the creature's lips, which revealed the disgusting, bloody, sharp, spoilt razor teeth, which somehow look like a shark's. It moved down the stoep it was standing on.

"Me? Eat children? No, I eat big men," It replied, wiping its runny nose with its disgusting fingers.

It then pulled one of the jars with an eyeball soaked in liquid from the shelf.

"Then why did you take us?"

"Gold coins! Rich! children make everyone rich," it replied with a little laughter.

"You are going to sell us?"

"Exchange, for gold coins," it corrected Paul, sniffing. "She pays lovely for small children like you."

The clicking sound of the door opening caught Paul's attention. One of the men ape creatures entered, tossing Pamela out of the sack onto the cold concrete floor. Paul rapidly got on his feet. Pamela on the other hand snarled, still dazzled by the light.

"PAM!" Paul yelled, rattling the cage he was kept in. "DON'T TOUCH HER!"

"PAUL!" she yelled back, jumping on the walls running on them with all four limbs, heading for Paul.

The men ape creature rapidly pulled her by her leg, violently tossed her on the floor. A sharp gasp left her lips, rolling on the concrete floor. Blood from her forehead tracing the concrete floor.

"PAM!" Paul yelled in pain, his pupil size decreasing rapidly.

Shadows spread on the floor aiming straight for the men ape creature. Blood splashed on the walls and the concrete floor followed by the thud sound of the bloody body of the men ape dropping on the concrete floor. The short creature's eyes widened as Paul's intense eyes shifted on it.

"You hurt her, now you die!" raising his left hand up, aiming the shadows straight at the short creature.

The short creature rapidly pulled his flute from the slate and blew it viciously. The shadows aimed straight at the creature deflected, being pushed by the sound waves from the flute, unable to harm the creature.

All the birds flew in unison heading straight for Paul but Pamela appeared, jumping on the birds ripping them with her teeth.

The short creature's forehead wrinkled blowing the flute loudly, controlling the deflected shadows aiming them straight for Pamela. They harshly knocked her on the wall. A short grunt left her lips, dropping on the concrete floor.

"PAM!" Paul yelled in pain.

The short creature turned to face him still blowing his flute sending harsh sound waves toward him.

"Huh!" Paul screamed, covering his ears.

The few birds flew inside the cage that he was kept in, running their beaks on Paul who screamed crazily, waving them off him.They seemed to not be bothered by his effort to keep them away.

"Aah!" ripping them with his mouth.

"Stupid children!" the short creature yelled, moving its flute away from its mouth.

Paul dropped on his face, blood leaking from his face, head, hands and ankles. Sobs left his lips. His heavy eyes staring at the birds flying back to the short creature, who was heading for Pamela.

Paul slowly moved his hands but they dropped back down due to the pain on his wounds.

A memory of Helen one of the children who were older being taken away suddenly resurfacing back in his head.

Her small hands had tossed the snow on the air, big smile on her small round face. "Helen!" mother Theresa had yelled, standing a few distance from her.

She had been with a man in a fancy coat and low ponytail.

"Keep making those snow angels, will be back," Helen had said to Paul and the rest of the children, before rushing towards mother Theresa.

The young man had planted a kiss on her hand, before he mumbled something Paul couldn't grasp.

Paul's eyes slowly shut close, sending him to darkness.

Author's Note🦋

Donot forget to follow me on IG: iamnopopi_hlongwane and also my art IG: iamnopopi_hlongwane
Tiktok: poppybroken_art

Donot forget to Comment and vote🤘💜