Chapter 9

It was Monday and Kendall and Daniel had been ignoring each other all day. They'd been seated next to each other in every class, not saying a word. Imagine how awkward it was when it came time for their after-school tutoring session in the library, where they actually had to speak.

"Daniel, we've been over this a million times. Just focus!" Kendall snapped.

Daniel dropped his pencil and looked up at her. "Ok, what is up with you?" he said calmly, suppressing his frustration.

"Nothing," she said defensively.

"You've been ignoring me all day and for the past hour you've been biting my head off at every given opportunity," Daniel said.

Kendall grinned slyly. "Yeah, doesn't feel good, does it? To have someone be so harsh towards you when you have no idea why."

Daniel looked confused. "What?"

She was dismayed. "You were such a dick to me at your party. First you dragged me off the dance floor when I was having fun, then told me off for having too much fun, then punched some guy in front of me and then death-stared me like I had done something unforgivable. Then you stormed off and avoided me like the plague for the rest of the night!" She paused to take a breath. "I don't think it's fair to invite some-"

"I didn't invite you" he cut her off.

A pang of hurt struck her and she looked down, embarrassed.

He immediately regretted what he'd said as he saw her face drop. "I didn't mean it like tha-"

"Just finish the work sheet so we can both go home," she said bluntly before he could backpedal.

He sighed and did as she said. She was putting up a strong front as though she was completely unaffected, but Daniel saw right through it. He was familiar with that front. He'd been perfecting it his whole life.

***

Uncomfortable silences enveloped Kendall and Daniel whenever they were together the following week.

Kendall was happy that she had become really close with Christina, though. She was in a nearby community college so they hung out whenever they could.

Much as she adored Ethan, she was more excited about having a female friend, especially since Chris was so cool.

The weekend was over and she was dreading the week to come. Apart from anxiety about going through another painful week with Daniel, her mother was returning on Tuesday and had invited Chad and his family over again.

Kendall was in class, first period, but Daniel was nowhere to be seen. She almost felt relieved until the door swung open and he sauntered in. Kendall immediately felt that something was off.

As he sat down, she noticed he had a huge bruise on his cheek and both of his knuckles were split and scarred. He saw her staring at his hands so he shoved them under the table and faced forwards as if nothing was wrong.

"What happened to you?" she said, concerned.

"Nothing," he replied bluntly, still refusing to meet her gaze.

"Well, clearly something happened," she probed.

"It's none of your fucking business, okay?" he snapped, glaring back at her.

She flinched, feeling the familiar pang of hurt, but ignoring it. She didn't want him to see her walls crumble.

Engulfed in guilt, his face softened. Why did he keep doing that, hurting her, he asked himself. He always regretted it immediately when he saw the corners of her mouth drop and her pained expression.