Chapter 24.2

Sunday, July 31, 2022, 5:55pm

It had been a little over a week since he had seen or spoke to his wife, and now here she was seated on the couch in their living room. Her long blond hair held loose curls that hung down over the left side of her face, keeping that eye somewhat hidden behind the golden locks, while the right side of her hair was pinned back using an elegant blue flower hair clip, allowing her hair to fall behind her ear. She wore a simple white spaghetti-strap tank top tucked into a pair of navy paper-bag shorts with a white pinstripe design, leaving her long, slender legs exposed as she sat with her left leg crossed over her right. A pair of brown leather sandals with a dainty gold bracelet and a spiteful demeanor completes her look.

Seeing June causes a feeling of awkward frustration; he was happy to see her, and she looked absolutely beautiful, yet he could not approach her and kiss her as he normally would. He knew his touch was unwarranted, and it made him feel like a stranger to his own wife.

"June... Darling, when did you get here?", he says, stepping further into the living room.

"Oh, me? I've been here for almost two hours now...", June responds, fixing her gaze on her glass of wine as she gently swirls it, "Where have you been?".

William lets out a deep breath as he places his things onto a nearby surface. He was in desperate need of a cigarette but he knew June was primed for an argument.

"I... was just out running errands.", he says with a touch of annoyance, "Hi, by the way...".

"Errands, huh?", June says as she directs her cold glare towards William, "Since when do you run errands, William?".

"I was just out, hon... I don't know what to say, I had to do somethin—", William begins before he is cut off by June's glass of wine hurling through the air towards him. Seeing the projectile coming his way, he quickly ducks to his left, dodging June's attack by just a split second. Her glass makes contact with the wall behind him. It shatters, sending bits of glass across the area as the red wine splatters and drips down the wall.

"Even after all this shit you put me through, you still have the nerve to lie to me!?", June rages as she rises from the couch, "I know you were with that horrid girl! What has this whole week been for you? One big happy fuck fest with the office whore??".

"June, please! That's not it at all!", he lies, knowing very well that he and Fallon had sex almost every day since she had left.

"So... you're really telling me you haven't been with that bitch since I've been gone?", June questions, crossing her arms and examining William's facial cues. She knows her husband is about to lie to her but wants to give him a chance to prove her right.

"No, sweetheart! I've been a wreck since you've been gone...", he lies again, desperate and willing to say anything to get his wife and daughter back home, "I've thought about you and Zoe the whole time, wondering what you were doing, if you were okay... and also just trying to come up with the right words to tell you how sorry I am...".

June feigns a smile almost amused at her husband's pitiful, groveling attempt for her forgiveness.

"Oh, William...", she mutters as she slowly steps over to her husband. Now within arms length of her husband, June swings her left arm with as much force as she could muster and strikes him on the right side of his face with a harsh open-handed slap.