Sacrifices

Red Son hadn't even intended to move at that moment. His body has simply acted on its own accord, launching him at Y/n's father like that. And ramming his fist into his panicked expression.

When her father released her form Red Son caught her with an arm around her shoulders.

Still her head lulled backward as blood spilled freely from her throat.

A sick panic filled Red Son's gut, but he pressed it aside. Now was no time to act a fool. His eyes snapped to her father who's unconscious form was slouched against the wall.

The alarm continued to blare above and was beginning to give him a headache, not to mention rile his temper. Police would be here in seconds, knowing the man's wealth.

Red Son placed Y/n on the floor quickly and shrugged off his coat. It would guard her from his flames as it had done for him when he was still learning the depth of his powers as a child. Cocooning her in the red overcoat, he snatched the book. He placed the book on her lap, then quickly lifted her bridal style as the sound of sirens touched his ears.

Red Son burst into flames and flew himself and the girl to her bedroom. Hastily, he placed her on her bed and searched for the crawlspace door.  Nothing seemed to conceal such an opening and Red Son silently cursed himself for ignoring Y/n's suggestion.

Down the hall he could hear the front door give way. There! Above the bed, there was a small door. It would be cramped but if it got them out alive, it'd be worth it. Rushing over he pulled the door open and grabbed Y/n.

"FREEZE!" An officer shouted kicking in Y/n's door. Only no one appeared to be in the room.

Red Son watched the man from the crack between the door and wall. The officer scanned the room, then preformed a quick sweep. Finding nothing, he left the way he came.

Hunched over y/n's limp body Red Son released a small sigh.

Now to see if her throat would be salvageable. His heart was still beating in his chest so he presumed she was still alive. Although, there had been no guarantee that her life and his were intertwined. He had simply come to that conclusion based on the knowledge her father had stated about not being able to harm her.

But he had definitely harmed her father. In all honesty he wasn't entirely sure he hadn't killed the man.  So, her father had been bluffing about a victim of the curse being unable to hurt her family. What else has he lied about?

Red Son used his overcoat sleeve to dab at her throat and inspected the cut. It bled enough to be concerning but as far as Red Son could see she was breathing.

He took his overcoat in his hands. Bracing one on the sleeve and the other on the neckline only to pause.

What was he doing?! Was he really about to rip his overcoat to save some peasant?! So what if she died? He'd hardly care. Infact it would be doing him a great favor. And if her worthless father was lying about whom he could harm, who was to say her death wouldn't free him?

His gaze flicked to Y/n. He could do it. It would be so easy. Simply leave her here to bleed out and die, then once her pulse stopped simply escape out the window, and leave this entire humiliating charade behind.

He felt the overcoat's fabric beneath his fingers. This coat had been his protection from himself for....his whole lifetime, it was his safety....so why did he want to tear it to save this, this peasant so badly?

Red son growled low in his throat and before he could stop himself, he ripped the sleeve off the over coat and tied it firmly around her neck. Once he was sure it would slow the bleeding he placed the book on her lap and wrapped her in his over coat once again.

It was time to go.

Red Son lifted her carefully cradling her against his chest, and peered through Y/n's bedroom door. The only way out was through the front door, but police would likely be everywhere.

Although, from his line of sight no officers were guarding the hall to the door. If he made a dash with his fire, he might be able to make it on his own, but with Y/n in his arms?

He chanced a worried glance at the limp girl in his arms. She certainly wasn't heavy, not with his strength. He studied the hall for a moment longer then sucked in a breath. He could do this. So, with a final bout of determination he burst into flames and charged towards the doorway.

Daylight nearly blinded him when he breached the threshold. Shouts sounded behind him at that moment. The police would be behind him in an instant.

Red Son rushed to a police car and opened the door. Sliding into the driver's seat, he tugged the lever on the passenger's seat. This laid it flat and he placed Y/n on the more or less make shift bed. Then he buckled her in hastily. He revved the engine and hit the gas. Like a shot the car took off from the drive way.

Sirens flared from behind while Red Son steered the car into a side street.  He practiced a few maneuvers to shake the other police cars but none of them were working.

As Red Son was checking the mirrors o ensure the position of their pursuers, he noticed the blood turning the sleeve around y/n's neck to a dark crimson. In panicked frustration he unbuckled Y/n's seatbelt, grabbed her and used his flames to not only ignite the car but to travel a fair distance away.

The police cars all rushed to the burning vehicle as Red Son landed in a hidden alley way.

He watched them search the car for a moment, then he turned and walked away.

This wasn't far from his forge and he was sure he could get the robo mechs to stabilize Y/n, and while they worked-

He glanced at the book in her lap. He'd do some light reading.