𝟬𝟭𝟳. the best you can

AERA WAS LOOKING FORWARD to meeting this deadly mistress who commanded the storm spirits, especially when it looked like they were going to go shopping in the process. It was the least she deserved after that horrific frozen but not FrozenTM dress fiasco. She was looking for something chic yet breathable enough to slay a couple more storm spirits while looking super cute and winter ready doing it. Maybe some pale pink Uggs earmuffs? Or a white fur hat to cover the giant welting bruise those stupid one-eyed barbarians gave her by braining her at the back of her head? Aera was thrilled that it was finally the appropriate season to do a "I'm cold" makeup look; she already had puffiness from being unconscious as a base.

But unfortunately being tired was a thing and Piper was very tired. On the way to that deadly mistress, Piper took one step in that crusty but somehow not-so-crusty sewer tunnel they tailed the storm spirits into (Aera trusted Leo's judgment of sewers), and stumbled, wincing on her foot. Aera had to put her arm around her shoulders to steady her.

"Stupid ankle," she cursed.

"Let's rest," Jason decided. "We could all use it. We've been going nonstop for over a day. Leo, can you pull any food from that tool belt besides breath mints?"

"Ooh, I want sushi!" Aera requested, perking at the thought of Japanese food.

"Thought you'd never ask. Chef Leo is on it!"

Aera, Piper, and Jason sat on a brick ledge while Leo shuffled through his pack. Aera was glad to sit down. Her head still hurt and she wasn't over what happened with Khione's dress. It was so humiliating. Aera wanted to crawl in a hole and die.

Then she thought back to what happened at the warehouse and felt even more like an eliminated America's Next Top Model contestant. Aera had stormed away from Jason only to get hit in the back of the head by some stupid barbaric Cyclopes. Total rookie move. Then Aera had to rely on the two complete newbies, Piper and Leo, to get them out of that ugly situation. Aera felt totally useless and out of her element in Piper's baggy sweatpants and sneakers.

And then there was that memory she dreamt about while she was out, to remind her just what a failure she was.

Aera was wearing pearls when Annabeth broke her heart. It was a luminous string of 15" princess length pearls resting on her chest—a small reward for renouncing the gods and swearing fealty to Kronos. She was waiting at the edge of the woods for Annabeth, eager to tell her best friend all of the astounding events that had happened to her. First, there were the dreams, then the messages relayed by black crows, the gifts for doing as the Titan King said, and finally, Luke's irresistible proposal...

Since Percy Jackson proved his innocence and that lightning stick thing was returned, Annabeth and Aera rarely had time to see each other. Under Luke's careful instruction, Aera was secretly making preparations under the table and Annabeth was always hanging out with Percy or something. July passed in the blink of an eye. Now Aera was ready to leave this miserable camp behind for good. She had packed all her essentials in a pink suitcase and left behind all outfits that wouldn't make her look hot and dangerous.

Aera wanted to see Annabeth before she left...and possibly take her with them. Luke advised her to slip away quietly after his treachery was outed by Percy, but Aera knew she could trust Annabeth. If anyone would understand their cause, Annabeth would.

Since they were little, the two had always talked about creating a new world together, one where they could build freely and love freely. For years, Camp Half-Blood had been doing nothing but holding them back. They never let either girl prove themselves. Their accomplishments, no matter how big or small, were always stolen by the boys.

Kronos promised to recognize their skills, to truly allow them to shine with their natural gifts. Aera could finally train properly enough to one day defeat Jolina and defend her siblings. She was going to save her siblings and set them free from Jolina's tyranny. What kind of camp turned a blind eye to that kind of abuse anyway?