𝟬𝟮𝟴. you'll be the first to go

BEFORE THEY BEGAN, Aera cupped Piper's ear and whispered something only she could hear. Piper gave Aera an extremely dirty look. Aera raised an eyebrow. The two girls had a pretty intense staring contest before Piper finally rolled her eyes and broke eye contact.

"Fine," she said through clenched teeth. "Stay here, guys. Aera and I have something to do."

"Where are y'all running off to now?" Leo asked. "Is there another movie star father you gotta save?"

Aera took Piper's hand and winked at Leo. "You'll see."

"Make it quick, ladies," Coach grumbled.

"Be right back," Piper promised.

The two girls rounded the other side of the boulder so that they were still concealed from the Enceladus but now blocked off from the rest of the group by the edge of the giant rock.

Jason dared to glance around the opposite side. Enceladus was still chanting by the purple fire. Tristan McLean was tied to the post across the campfire, slumped over. It would take a miracle to rescue him without fighting Enceladus directly. They had to stick to the plan at all costs.

Meanwhile, the girls were working on something. Jason couldn't see what they were doing but he could hear Piper's muffled cries of pain.

"OW!" she whisper-shouted. "That hurts, Aera!"

There was a consistently fast patting sound like a hand repeatedly slapping a face.

"I don't care if it hurts, Piper," Aera said back, in a stern manner. "It's not my fault you have abnormally large eyelids."

"Are you giving me a makeover or a black eye?" Piper whined. "Is this really necessary?"

"Oh, it is very necessary. This is our last line of defense."

"How does our last line of defense include you punching me in the face with a makeup brush?"

"Shh! You are such a baby. Back in my day, it was an honor to have your face punched by my makeup brushes. Just ask Chi-Chi."

"Wow, lucky me then...OW!"

"All done! Go show the boys."

"Do I have to?"

"Piper McLean, do as I say or I'll have Drew revoke your dessert privileges."

"Drew doesn't even like you."

There was a loud ripping sound. Jason braced himself. Thankfully, the giant didn't seem to notice. Shuffling noises. More slapping. Then Piper was pushed out from behind the rock with the most peeved expression across her face.

Leo snickered. Piper had a full face of glamorous makeup on now. The bottom of her turquoise dress was ripped up to the bottom of her thigh. Her hair was also in some sort of fancy curly poof like a movie star from the 50s. All of this had unfolded within the span of a minute. Jason glanced at Leo, who was obviously trying not to bust out laughing.

"Don't," Piper said sharply. "Say. A. Word. This wasn't my idea."

"Word." Leo snickered. "Aren't you supposed to sneak around and not draw attention to yourself?"

Piper rolled her eyes. "That won't be a problem."

"How do you know?" Leo asked.

"Because all eyes will be on me."

Aera strutted into view.

Jason's jaw dropped. She was wearing a bright red cheerleading uniform with her hair tied back in two pigtails with two tiny red bows. Her crop top left enough open to see her abs peeking out. The miniskirt was so short Jason tried not to stare, so he stared at her face, which was somehow even more distracting. She had Tristan McLean's initials written on her left cheek in black marker like she was rooting for him at a football game. Her glittery silver eyeliner made a star shape at the edge of her eyes and matched her silver and red pom-poms, which she indulged in a great deal of shaking.