II

♪♫ Aaj agar bhar aayi hai,

Boondein baras jayengi

Kal kya pata inke liye,

Aankhein taras jayengi

Jaane kab gum hua, kaha khoya,

Ek aansu chupa ke rakha tha...♪♫

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was almost 4 in the morning when Kabir was walking back to his room after getting some water from the kitchen.

He got into a minor argument with Ahana, and because his mind was still stuck on her, he forgot to take the water bottle with him.

They were 16—almost 17—when he saw Ahana for the first time—he had come back from two months long NCC camp and she was going to school—and he only had one thought, that she was painfully beautiful. He was awe-struck but that went down the drain when he accidentally bumped into and spilled coffee on her.

She made a fuss about it because she was going for an interview at the school and was running late. Later that day, he tried to befriend her by apologizing to her, and for that, he made a lemon cake for her, but he was so nervous that he accidentally put salt in it instead of sugar, and let's just say it didn't end well.

From that day, he tried to irritate and annoy her every chance given because that was the only way Ahana talked to him otherwise she had decided to keep her distance and he didn't like it.

He walked toward his room but stopped when he heard someone whimpering. It took him a second to realize what was happening but when realization dawned upon him—he rushed into Ahana's room.

There she was, lying on her bed, restless and almost crying. She was having a nightmare. Her top had ridden up a little and he could see the long scar on her abdomen which disappeared into the waistband of the pyjama shorts she was wearing. The scar was healed but was still very prominent. It hurt him to see her like this.

A year ago she got into an accident and that's the only information he and everybody knows. She wasn't ready to tell anyone what actually happened but there is one thing that everyone knows—a large shard of glass pierced through her abdomen and cut into the uterus and because of that she can't become a mother.

She used to live alone but after the accident, Badi Ma ordered her to come and stay with them. She was worried that she would lose Ahana too like she lost her best friend Varsha. Varsha aunty was Ahana and Mehar bhabhi's (elder brother's wife) mother.

Ahana has been having these nightmares for over a year now. Initially, they were frequent but with time they reduced. Now she only gets them when something triggers her.

He speed-walked, sat on her bed, and took her into his arms. "Hey! Hey! Hey! Shh... it's okay, Ahana. You're okay, everything is okay. It's just a bad dream."