Chapter Five - Nightmares And Regret

TW - nightmares, vomiting

Tanjiro’s pov

I held Muichiro close to me as he sobbed into my chest, he was crying hard, it was uncontrollable. Even though I told him Genya is actually okay and that he's not infected, he kept on crying harder and harder to the point he couldn't normally breathe.

It has been like an hour since it happened and he wasn't getting any better, he kept on apologizing and sobbing.

I could see him getting tired from all of it, he was still crying but it was a bit better than before, I felt terrible for making him do such thing, I was stupid for thinking that telling him such thing would make things better.

Mitsuri came into the room to tell us that dinner is ready. I stood but Muichiro didn't, he just sat there, sobbing into Genya's hoodie.

"Come on Muichiro, you need to eat something" I said and he quickly shook his head. I sighed "alright then" I said before leaving the room.

I laid in bed before hearing the door open. Muichiro came into the room after taking a bath. "Are you feeling better?" I asked, looking away from my book.

He just shook his head and dropped back on the bed. I tried to make some conversation with him but he didn't answer.  He just laid there staring into a wall, he wasn't crying anymore but it was clear he wasn't feeling any better.

"Can I turn the light off?" I asked and he slightly nodded, pulling a blanket over himself. I turned the light off and laid down on my bed, falling asleep soon after.

I woke up in the middle of night due to Muichiro shaking with me. "Muichiro? What do you need?"  I said. "I-I am really sorry for waking you up but… I can't sleep… I am used to sleeping next to someone.. is it okay if I.. sleep next to you?" He said quietly.

"Of course, come here" I said and lifted up my blanket. He got under it and laid his head on my pillow.

"Thank you…" he said quietly.

"It's no problem" I said and Muichiro snuggled closer to me "I am sorry for being a bother for the past days.."

"What are you talking about? you are not a bother" I said and he just looked down, sighing. "All I've been doing for the past days is cry… I don't normally cry often, I just hold it in but.. it seems so hard for the past days"

"Hey don't apologize, I completely understand, you don't need to be sorry for crying.. when you feel sad again just come to me, I am here for you until Genya comes back, alright?"

Muichiro nodded "thanks, I appreciate it.." he said and cuddled up closer to me, wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his head against my chest.

"Try to get some rest now, you need it" I said while running my finger through his silky hair. "Mhm.. I am really tired anyway.." he said and closed his eyes, yawning.

Couple days later

It has been a couple days since the thing happened. It seemed like Muichiro wasn't doing any better… more like way worse. He couldn't sleep properly at night, he refused to leave the room, at least I thought he was eating decently but that changed one day.