Chapter 7

Training continued for the next week until it was time to be scored. This is when the game makers would watch us and give us a score 1 - 12 to determine how skilled we were. This would help betters and sponsors choose their tribute.

I woke up that morning before the sun came up and went to sit in the living room. I sat there braiding and unbraiding a piece of hair when Glenn plopped down next to me with two mugs of hot milk. We don't say anything. Just sipped our milk and traced circles on the tile with our feet until Lucinda called us breakfast.

We ate, Glenn and I nervously smiling up at each other when we caught each others eye. After we ate, Lucinda brought us down to the room outside of where we would be assessed by the game makers with instructions to "wait until they call your name".

In the room, no one spoke. We all just sat their anxiously waiting until our district number and name were called. They were going by district with the males going first so we only had to wait about half an hour until we heard Glenn's name get called. As he stood up, I stood up with him and did the most unexpected thing I could have done. I kissed him on the cheek and mumbled good luck into his ear. He smiled at me, his lips turning up slightly and left the room. I realized I was still standing long after he left and that everyone in the room had seen. My cheeks flushed red and I hurriedly sat down picking at the polish on my nails. I had bitten them down to stubs in anticipation and had to take some deep breaths to ease the fuzziness in my head until they called my name.

"District 6. Althea Viotto," I said as I walked I front of the game makers. The room was similar to the training room we spent the last days in. It had dummies, ropes, weapons, and anything else we could need to show our skills. The game makers were in a loft above me holding glasses of a red drink and talking among themselves. I saw head game maker, Magnus Larue, chatting with another game maker that had an intricately cut beard. When they heard my voice they all looked up and stopped talking waiting for me to do something. At that moment, I realized I didn't have a plan. I had to come up with something quick.

I grabbed a spear from a rack and expertly twirled it around with extra flourishes to make it look fancy. I then climbed the rope hanging down to the top and aimed and threw the spear so it landed in the dummy's would be heart. I then grabbed even more spears and sword and began throwing them into the wall so that they stuck and started climbing them until I got to the ceiling. I then threw the sword and it decapitated threw dummies' heads in one throw. After that, I picked up the sword and slashed the remaining dummies and equipment. I walked back in front of the game makers and swung the sword point down and leaned against it. I said thank you and waited for them to dismiss me. They did so and I walked out of the room.

As I pressed the buttons on the elevator, bI realized my hands were still shaking and that I am still giddy.

I rode the smooth elevator to the sixth floor and got out. A million thoughts rushed through my head as I walked past the couch with everyone on it, waiting for me. I pass the couch and wave their questions away and close and lock the door to my room. I really needed to try to sort through the tangle of thoughts in my mind.

I would be in the arena soon. What was I going to do? Should I ally with Glenn and possibly have to kill him or have him kill me or go by myself and let someone else kill him? What would happen if it was just us left? I still had time. For now I just had to relax. Tomorrow we would start prep for the interviews and then the day after that, we had the interviews and then it was show time.

I got out of the shower and changed into a comfy outfit. I then walked out to the couch where everyone was sitting, snacking on some cheese and fruit. As soon as I sat down, the questions came.

"What did you do?" Kali asked

"I just did some things with spears and swords," I responded, "like you said to do."

"Details!" Lucinda sang.

I glanced up at Glenn for help but my eyes caught on his. How have I never noticed how deep and enchanting they are. Like they all ready knew what I was thinking. He laughed and said,

"Don't worry. I was already grilled."

I looked back at Kali and explained. I tried to not leave out any details for Lucinda's sake and when I finished I received an approving smile from Clayton and even Kali looked mildly impressed.

The whole time I was speaking, I noticed Glenn next to me smiling proudly.

"Not growing soft, are we," I said, smiling and nudging him in the ribs.

"Just thinking about my badass best friend," he said, "even though I probably got I a higher score." He said, popping a piece of cheese into his mouth.

"You wish!" I said, throwing him another piece.

We laughed joyfully. Like we didn't have a care in the world. But we would soon.

Lucinda got up announced that dinner was ready and that we should eat fast so we don't miss the game makers announce the scores.

We scarfed down our food quickly and then rushed to the tv, flipping it to the Capitol channel.

After a couple minutes of explaining the process, announcer Claudius Templesmith and head game maker Magnus Larue began announcing the tributes and scores. They began at district one. Dimitri Hallen: 9! A headshot of the large boy from District 1 appeared on the screen along with the number. Luxury Gallascan 8! His partner appeared next. Elias Barone 8! Greta Stionne 9! This continued for a while the scores were pretty good mostly 7, 8, 9s but there was a five from the little boy from 3. The Careers from District 4 each received an eight. The scores were announced from District 5 and the the next thing we knew, the were yelling out our names and numbers. Glenn Drullo 9! Glenn turned to look at me with a smug smile on his face and I didn't even have time to roll my eyes when the announced my name. Althea Viotto 10! A ten. The highest score anyone received so far.

I looked back at Glenn and said,

"What we're you saying again about getting a higher score than me?"

But before he could retort, Lucinda was all over us squealing about how proud she was. Kai and Clayton stood to the side and gave encouraging smiles.

After many congratulations and praises I slipped off to my room and went to bed. I closed my eyes but the image of Glenn's chocolate eyes, creased from his smile was burned on my eye lids. They are perfect. He is perfect. Everything is perfect. But not for long.

A/N
I'm sorry that I haven't updated in a while. I've been very busy lately. Happy New Years by the way and happy holidays. Don't forget to vote and comment! Stay healthy.