Chapter 9

I barley had time to shove a piece of toast in my mouth before Lucinda, Devika and my prep team whisked me away. I barley got to see Glenn at all before we left.

I was stripped of all of the hair on my body and was preened and prodded for the next couple hours. My face was powdered down and my lips and eye lids had colors smeared on them. My hair was done up in a complicated braid that wrapped around my head like a crown. Tiny white flowers were tucked into the creases, similar to the lily underneath my pillow.

Devika and the rest of my prep team made me close my eyes and stand in front of the mirror as she pulled out an opaque dress bag. Knowing Devika, I was scared and not sure I wanted to open my eyes as the fabric was pulled over my head. For all I know, I could be in a see through gown so that the crowd could see every part of body or any other hideous atrocity only Devika could think of.

"Turn around and open your eyes on three, two, one..." Clinisia counted.

As I turned I heard sighs from Elvira and Devika and saw her curls bob up and down in admiration to compliment there work. From here on out, I would be just another tribute, a sacrifice to the games and the Capitol.

I looked down. I had on a sleepless dress that was almost like a ball gown except it stopped just below my knees and pooped out slightly. But that wasn't the best part. The best part is the colors. And oh the colors. Every color was on there each to represent each of the districts. From the reddish brown from the coal miners of 12 to the bluish white to represent the Capitol. The colors mixed and swirled together so much that I looked like a painting. I remember Glenn mentioning something about painting and this made my already colored cheeks blush redder. This was the prettiest I felt. Tears filled my eyes as a ran over and caught Devika in a bone crushing hug.

"Thank you," I breathed in her ear. I gave each of the stylists a hug as they escorted me to where the interviews are going to be held.

As I walked into the room I saw Glenn. He was wearing a suit with the same colors as me and when we made eye contact, my cheeks blushed as red as the rose on his lapel.

"Hi," I breathed.

"Hi," he said back. We just stood there, looking at each other until Glenn cleared his throat.

"You look uhh pretty," he said as his cheeks turned pink.

We went silent as we scanned the room as we lined up, girl boy with District 1 in from, looking at the kids that would be dead in a week.

The district one girl was in a showy short black glittering dress with cut-outs basically all over her beautiful body strategically showing off pieces of skin.

Hildegard, another career from 4, had on a short dress with such a long train that it dragged on the ground.

I nervously pushed my lips into a thin line as I heard the famous Caesar Flickerman's voice call out the tributes to the stage.

I walked out behind the boy from 5 to my seat as the crowd cheered.

I barely listened to the interviews as the buzzer started and stopped between each tribute. I was trying to dry my sweaty palms. My impression on the sponsors could mean life or death in the games. I caught Glenn's eye and smirked, trying to to show my nervousness.

The District 1 girl, Luxury I think her name was, flounced around and giggled. She batted her eyelashes at Caesar and flirted with the audience. What a dumbass. She won't be giggling in the games. If the other tributes don't kill her, I bet the careers will. After her interview, if you can even call it that, I zoned out until my name was called.

I walked to the seat next to Caesar as the crowd cheered for me.

Caesar spoke, "So, Althea. Let's first discuss your feelings about being in the games. Can you tell me what you were feeling when your name was called?"

I tried to formulate an answer in my mind,

"Um," I said trying to think of an answer. The lights were too bright, the crowd was to loud, too many faces. I finally put something together, "I guess it was at first panic and then it turned into fear."

"Oh yes that's what most tributes feel but the games do grow on you. Isn't that right folks?" Caesar said with a booming laugh. His statement was met with cheers and applause.

"What about your training score? Can you tell us a little about that?" He asked.

"Well, let's just say I put on a bit of a show," I said gaining confidence. I flashed a smile at the audience.

"Care to say more?" Questioned Caesar.

"I'm not going to spoil anything but I'll say that was just a preview of what I'm going to do in the arena." Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Kali nodding approvingly.

"Well, well, well, ladies and gentlemen, let's just hope for her sake that she ends up being the he ring leader in the circus," he said with an enormous grin playing on his lips.

"Good for you then, Caesar, because have I got some plans for this, what did you call it," I paused mysteriously, "circus." My eyes glanced at the audience to find that people were actually cheering, rooting for me and possibly wanting to sponsor me.

Just then the buzzer went off and I heard Caesar telling the audience that it was time for me to sit back down.

Though my heart still raced and my hands still shook, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief for now.

Caesar then was calling out Glenn Drullo, my district partner to the stage.