05. bruises

Rick left the camp along with Daryl, and to Katherine annoyance, Glenn and T-Dog, two of the people she's closest to. She tried convincing them to not go, saying their lives aren't worth risking over the life of Merle Dixon, but T-Dog felt responsible for it and didn't want to hold that guilt, so he went, and Rick convinced Glenn to go, since he knew his way around the city.

When Katherine heard they were going, she tried going as well, but Rick, who had taken charge of going back for Merle immediately shut her down, saying she wasn't old enough to go, and he didn't want to risk her going. She told him she'd been with Glenn before and was fine, but his mind was made up, Katherine James was staying at camp.

In hindsight, it wasn't so bad, she got to be with her sister, whom she was never letting out of her sight, not again. Last time she left a family member out of her sight, she saw them get ripped to shreds in front of her very eyes. She does not want to experience that again.

Harlow, however, wanted to sit on the RV with Dale, waiting for the others to get back, and with a kind smile from Dale was reassurance enough for Katherine to leave her sister with the old man while she and the other women went down to the quarry to wash the clothes. They were chatting about their lives before the fall, what they were doing the day the news was let out.

Katherine's school day was cut short, Amy was in college, Jacqui was at work, Carol was at home and Andrea was out of the state with some friends. Katherine wondered what happened to the people she went to school with, most importantly her best friend Kathleen.

She wondered if she got out, or if she were part of the many unfortunate who didn't manage to get out and were devoured by the walkers, or maybe, she's still in her home, with her Dad and younger brother, waiting for things to get better.

Katherine's glad she got out, she doesn't think surviving in her home would've been smart, sooner or later they would've needed to go out, whereas here at the quarry, with the group, they all have jobs to do, like a community. Katherine's grateful for her small community, it brings a smile to her face.

"Can someone explain to me how the woman wound up doing all the Hattie McDaniel work?" Jacqui questioned, with a sneer, while looking over at Shane and Carl who were catching frogs, but it seemed they were playing in the water.

"Carl's a kid, he's the exception, Shane however" Katherine mumbled the last part.

"And the world ended, didn't you get the memo?" Amy playfully asks.

"It's just the way it is" Carol adds.

"Screw it, we should all rebel" Katherine states.

"You don't have to help, Kat. We've said you don't need to" Carol smiles at her.

"And I've said, I want to. I feel useless otherwise. If the world didn't end, most kids my age would have a job. This is the job" Katherine replies.

"I do miss my Maytag," Carol comments.

"I miss my Benz, my sat nav," Andrea adds.

"I miss my coffee maker, with that dual-drip filter, and built-in grinder, honey," Jacqui says.

"My computer, and texting" Amy pouts.

"My playstation," Katherine adds.

"I miss my vibrator" Andrea says, earning giggles from the other woman, Katherine included.

"Shh, there are children present" Amy covered Katherine's ears, she rolled her eyes and removed her hands, sending her a playfully glare.

"Me too," Carol quietly adds.