08. goodbye

The group came to an agreement, they would be leaving for the CDC in hopes to get help for Jim's bite. After a sad departure with Morales and his family, Katherine hugged Eliza and Louis, whom she grew quite fond of, having spent some time with them. She also hugged Miranda and Moales goodbye.

Harlow was sad to see her friends go, she was closer to them and often played around camp with them and the other kids. Katherine assured her they'd be okay, and she still had Sophia and Carl.

She sat in the back of the Peletier and Grimes vehicle, it was a tight squeeze, but they all managed to fit in. Since there weren't any laws about who can sit where, they could all sit wherever they wanted.

Harlow sat with her head on her sister's shoulder, still grieving the loss of her friend, Katherine did too, she'd miss Morales and his family. She knew they wouldn't change their minds, and that was probably the last time she'd ever see them.

The journey to the city was long and dreadful, they didn't know what to expect, even though they had guns now, they were low on ammo, and if they ever found themselves in a spot of trouble, they'd end up wasting all their bullets. Sooner or later, they'd have to get good at close up combat, using knives instead of guns, since the guns make noise and catch attention. And, using knives, won't waste their ammo, or make a spot of noise.

Then the RV breaks down.

Katherine leans against the car, spinning her knife in her hands, "You be careful now" Carol would tell her, in her motherly tone. Her eyes move from her knife when Jacqui comes out of the RV, "Y'all, Jim,it's bad. I don't think he can take anymore" she then reenters the RV.

"Hey, Rick, you want to hold down the fort? I'll drive ahead to see what I can bring back?" Shane says.

"Yeah, I'll come along too, and I'll back you up" T-Dog agreed.

"Y'all keep your eyes open now. We'll be right back" Shane says.

"Kat" Lori says to her, "Think you can watch the kids?" she asked.

Katherine nodded, "You don't even need to ask, Lori" she got back into the car where Harlow, Carl and Sophia still sat.

"What's going on? Where's Shane going?" Carl asked the older blonde.

"Him and T-Dog are going down the road to see if there's some supplies for the RV to work again" Katherine informs them.

"What do we do until then?" Sophia asked quietly, hugging the doll Eliza gave her closely.

"I spy with my little eye something green"

⋆ ★ ⋆

Jim told Rick he wanted to be left behind, and after some convincing with some the group, some feeling it wasn't right to just leave their friend behind, others wanting to bring him along, but in the end, it was Jim's decision and everyone respected it.

Everyone gathered as Rick and Shane placed him against a tree nearby, "Hey, another damn tree" he comments, everyone lightly laughed.

One by one everyone who wanted to say goodbye, said their goodbyes; first Shane, then Jacqui, then Rick, who offered him a gun, but Jim declined, saying they'd need it. Dale was next to bid goodbye, Katherine was last, everyone else had already walked away, doing their goodbyes in their own way.

"Take care of yourself, Kat," Jim said to her, a small cough coming out as he did.

Katherine nodded, "Always do"

"And you watch out for your sister, never let go. I don't want to experience the pain of losing her" Jim says, gently placing his hand on her arm, giving it a small rub.

Katherine places her hand on his, smiling as she did, "I'm sorry about your family" she mumbled.

"They're waiting for you" Jim nods his head behind her.

She turns her head to see Daryl waiting behind them, "Goodbye, Jim" Katherine turned back to him, smiling.

"See you on the other side" Jim removes his hand off her arm, leaning into the tree.

Katherine got up and walked away with Daryl away from the dying man. They got into their separate vehicles and everyone drove off, leaving Jim. Katherine would have to get used to death. Because in this world, everyone dies eventually.

__

Almost done with act one! Omg then we get onto act two where we meet Kat's love interest! I'm so excited to write them together. Any guesses?

RIP Jim