1.

TENBY IRWIN (3:45 PM, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17)

"Do we really have to do this today?" I asked my dad as I walked into his office at the hospital after school. Really not looking forward to this doctors appointment.

"Yes, Tenby, you know we can't put it off. We have to make sure that you're well enough to have your surgery soon."

I internally groan as I set my backpack down on dad's small couch in the corner of the room, opposite of his desk that was filled with papers piled up and stacked neatly next to his laptop that was open to the hospitals home screen.

"Let me just finish up some more paperwork for a few patients before we go. Do you have any homework?"

"Not really. I did some with Marnie and Crivvy in Study Hour, but I think I still have one more sheet of math. Oh and I have to do my 30 minutes of reading for my reading log. But that's all."

Marnie Reed and Crivvy Hallden are my best friends. We've known each other since we were little.

Dad just nodded, not looking up from whatever he was writing.

My dad was a busy guy. He and his 3 best friends are head of the paediatric department of the hospital in the middle of Sydney. They all grew up here, so it was only fitting that I did too.

I'm a really good student at school. I try really hard to get good grades because even though I'm only 14, I already know what I want to do when I'm older. Ever since I was little, I've always wanted to be a nurse. Taking after my nurse who has helped me all throughout my past surgeries that i've had. My dad's best friend, basically my uncle, Michael Clifford, is the best paediatric nurse there is. You see, I was born with a heart condition, and I've already had 4 surgeries because of it. My mom had the same condition, but she died right after I was born. I guess her heart couldn't handle everything that was going on. My dad went to medical school along with his friends who he had known since he was my age, to help other people, and that's exactly what I want to do too. I had my own first surgery right after I was born, again when I was 3, and again right after I turned 7, then once more when I was 11. So it's nothing new, but as I keep growing, I keep on needing to have more surgeries. But i'm never really too worried, as I also have the best cardiologist and heart surgeon, Another one of my dads friends, Dr. Luke Hemmings, but he's just Uncle Luke to me.

"Ready to go, Tenby?" My dad asked, closing his laptop and grabbing my hand, squeezing it lightly.

I just nodded, looking down. I tend to get really nervous when it's time to check up on my heart. Even though I know i'm getting the best care possible, it's still really scary to have your chest opened again and again.

"Hey" He says, gently taking his hand under my chin to look up at him.

"You're gonna do great sweetie." He says as we make our way down the all too familiar hallways, only to be met with the all too familiar door, with the all too familiar name. The name that I sort of despise the most out of them all, Dr. C. Hood, Paediatric M.D.

"No matter how many times i've done this, dad, it never gets any easier." I say, tears beginning to brim my eyes.

"I know darling." He says, kissing the top of my head.

"But you're a pro at this now." He says, opening the door for the to walk into.

"What could happen?"

I've now joined the 5sosfam!! I've read a couple of books like this before and I really enjoy them, so I decided to start my own! I can't wait to share these characters with you all. I started writing this book when I was bored in college one day, and so now i've brought it to wattpad!!
(Also don't worry! I'm still working on my Jonas Brothers book too, just really into 5sos atm!!)