Chapter 5: Smoke Induced Melody

The weekend rolled around as soon as the week had started. After Randy and the gang's initial assault, Jeff had barely seen them. Of course there was the brief awkward eye contact in the hallways, but none of them ever tried to start anything. Ben was convinced that Jeff had scared them off, but the teen wasn't so sure. He sat in his bedroom, strumming a few random notes on his guitar, it was Friday and there wasn't much to do. His hand was completely healed, but the skin on the knuckles felt smoother than the rest. His parents had gone out to go shopping for some Halloween decorations, without asking if he wanted to come along.

He sighed, and leaned back onto the ground. I could call Ben. He thought. The boy did live across the street. Some human interaction would do him good. He had been hanging with them all week anyways. Skipping class after lunch to hang out under the bleachers. With a heave, he stood up and walked downstairs.

Lui was at the kitchen table, working on homework. When he saw Jeff he immediately put down his pencil. "Ahah! So the bear has left his cave!"

Jeff only gave that joke half a snicker. "You still aren't done?" He asked, grabbing his black messenger bag from the coat rack.

Lui slumped back into his chair and puffed out his cheeks. "Yeah... AP classes suck."

Jeff nodded knowingly. "That's why I never took them, but then again, I was never as smart as you were."

Lui rolled his eyes. "Well being smart sucks when all you get for it is extra work."

"True."

Jeff shoved some papers into his bag, along with a few pencils. He went to the fridge and pulled out two sodas, and also added them to the bag. "Is it ok if I leave ya. I'm sure mom and dad won't mind."

"I guess not, where are you going?"

"Just across the street. Friend's house."

"Ben, right?"

"Yep."

Jeff had told Liu the events of the first day at school. He knew Liu wouldn't rat him out, and Liu found the event extremely impressive. "So if people ever pick on me, you can come beat them up right?" Is what he said. Jeff agreed, he'd always have his brother's back.

With a final wave, Jeff stepped outside and welcomed the dull cloudy sky. Perfect fall weather, perfect weather in general. He walked across the street, looking for the home number Ben had told him. Not many people were outside today, there were a few children playing hopscotch, and a woman jogging by, but the streets were quiet. He found the house, it was practically in front of his own. The yard was trimmed unevenly and the house was a nice latte brown. As he walked up the porch he noticed several, nearly dead, plants and what he assumed to be Ben's skateboard. Ben was definitely home. After fixing the bag on his shoulder, Jeff knocked on the door and waited for a response. Nothing. He sighed and knocked again. There was no reaction for a moment, until he heard a sudden thump. Followed by a crash and then the sound of the door being unlocked.

Jeff was greeted by a shirtless, half dressed Ben. "Jeff! Hey!"

"Did you fall down the stairs?"

"Yes. Come in! Nice to see you outside of school!"

Ben opened the door wider to let the other in. Jeff stepped inside and quickly took in his surroundings. More dead plants. Relatively messy, there were some clothes hanging off the sides of the stairs and a pile of shoes were kicked into the corner of the room. "Take your shoes off, you can just throw 'em there." Ben said, scratching his back.

Jeff added his converse to the mountainous pile. Without his beanie, Ben's hair nearly covered his eyes, it looked more like a mullet up close. "What brings you to casa de Ben?" Joked the blond.