Chapter 6: Late Night Texts

The forest called to him like a siren on a storm stricken shore, bellowing false promises of glory and satisfaction. It breathed inhumanly, as a man stood in the middle, featureless, and waiting...

Jeff woke up in a cold sweat. His surroundings almost foreign to him as he came to. He was in his bed, at his own house. He was dumbfounded.

Rolling over to his nightstand, he saw that his phone had been connected to his charger, the bright screen pinging softly with notifications. With a motion that took little effort, the teen grappled for the phone, wincing as pain formed between his eyes. He felt tired and hungry, still processing his situation. When he checked his phone Jeff saw a wall of texts. Oh Right...

Ben had been messaging him, though the texts seemed to be from a few hours ago. It was 12 am now.

Ben: Hey dude, you were pretty out of it when I brought you home. I just told your brother that you got sick and had to rest

Time sent: 4:23 pm

Ben: Text me when you wake up, you had me scared for a moment. You had a seriously bad trip dude, no more smoking for you lmao

Time Sent: 4:29 pm

Ben: Seriously tho, get some rest. I hope you're just sleeping and totally not dead. Lol

Time Sent: 7:47 pm

Jeff rolled his eyes, absentmindedly replying.

Jeff: I'm Alive, regretfully. Dude what the hell happened?

Ben replied almost instantaneously.

Ben: Yes! I didn't kill you! I knew you'd be fine.

Jeff: Haha, yeah. So..?

Ben: Oh right.

Ben: Man you were tripping balls. After you walked to that window you completely freaked out. Mumbling and shit, something about a man?

Jeff paused, reading the text back. He pried for more.

Jeff: A man?

Ben: Yeah something like that, remember? You were convinced that there were noises outside.

Jeff set his phone down and glanced at his covered up window. It seemed that just the action of looking out of it would lead to another disaster. He got up and walked out of his room, joints feeling stiff, the air stuffy as well.

He peeked into Liu's room, but he was already asleep. He wasn't surprised at the lack of concern his parents must have had. He was known to sulk in his room, but even still, he had wished someone had woken him up for dinner.

When he stepped downstairs he could see the darkness of night pouring through the living room window. Houses across the street, silent and lifeless. He could hear the wood skeleton of the house creek and contract as the coolness of night laid upon it. A scary sound to most, but Jeff preferred it over nothing.  He checked his phone again, Ben hadn't written anything. Assumably waiting for Jeff to continue.

Jeff: Dang, well, sorry man. I was probably just hallucinating. Sorry to freak out on you like that, it was my first time.

Ben: I get it dude. Happens all the time, get some rest broski, you need it. I'll TTYL?

Jeff: I will. ttyl

He turned his phone off and faced the darkness. At least Ben wasn't mad at him. He'd probably seen it happen before. However, the contents of his hallucination had yet to come to him. He knew there was a man, but that was about it. He chose to shrug it off for the time being, facing the issue seemed to be too much work. And Jeff just wanted to proceed back into normalcy.

He had a feeling in his gut that something bad was going to happen. Seeing how moving to this town had caused nothing, but problems. But if he were to tough it out, and wipe his nose free from blood, maybe, just maybe, he'd be able to ignore it.