Chapter 2; farewell, Mrs Bleu.

Stepping into the canteen, I looked for Isla, or Orla, or someone I knew. I don't like the canteen, it's loud and busy, I bet bacteria sweeps through the air as people scream, laugh, spit and throw food. Awkwardly. I walked around until I found a friend. Isla was with Taylor. Taylor sat impatiently, as Isla desperately tried to solve a rubix cube. "Took your time, love." Said Taylor with a sigh "sorry," I groaned.

Isla put her rubix cube back into her blazer pocket. "Shall we get food girls," asked Isla, "sure," Taylor said as she stood up. "Ok," I got up and followed behind them. We joined the queue, Isla and Taylor were stood side by side and I was behind them, feeling like I wasn't with them, like they were trying to get rid of me, after the eleven years I'd spent alongside Isla. The queue was long, and I was itching to get out of it and eat the banana that I'd put in my bag the night before, but anything to try to fit in with my friend. I'm almost Fifteen now, and I need to grow up.
"Ebbie?"
"yeah?" Ebbie, nobody ever calls me that Except for Isla.
"Do you want to see the super cool thing I got from town last week?"
"Sure,"
"Well you can't,"
Teased Taylor , and laughter broke out between her and Isla. To be honest, I couldn't care less what she'd got from town last week. It was probably a stupid lipstick or bodyspray from new look. Taylor discretely opened her inner pocket of her blazer, and Isla looked inside, her eyes filled with shock, and I grew a little curious. I began to wonder what it could be, maybe AirPods? Or maybe an iPhone 12? I've only ever met 2 people who own one, I then realised that I didn't actually care.

"Taylor... where did you get those?" Isla asked with a concerned look on her face.
"I don't know, I just found them."
I decided I wasn't going to stand in this queue anymore. It was so loud I could barely hear myself think; and what was the point of me being there if I wasn't wanted by them?
I sat back down at our table, Taylor and Isla's coats, backpacks, and Isla's last minute history homework were strewn about, taking my backpack off, I looked around hoping to see Orla, wondering how she was getting on. People were everywhere, but there was no sign of her. People were laughing, joking, eating and talking to each other. Like me, they were all stuck in the same deep maroon blazers, tie to match the grey plaid skirt or trousers, and brown lace-up shoes. Another thing they had in common was that they all fit in with each other, not like me.

Eating my banana, I think about how they are so mature and confident. They just see me as little girl Ebony. When am I ever going to grow up? Physically and mentally. I've barely had a growth spurt, and they all towered over me. When they get home, they put on a dress, go to parties and go to the shop by themselves. I heard that sometimes they even steal their parents vodka, and drink it in the park. I'm different. When I get home, I put on my favourite cartoon, then try to count all my coins in my piggy bank to see if I can afford another chocolate bar next time I go to the shop with my brothers (I'm not very good at maths), I then put on my favourite songs, and sing my heart out until mother comes and tells me to give it a rest. You see, I'm not like the other year 10s, and I tried so hard to be like them without realising that I'm just the best at being me.

The bell rang and I went to my history lesson. Isla was in the same class as me, but Taylor did geography, I sat in my usual seat next to Isla, I was wondering where Mr Douglass was when a woman walked in. The same teacher who taught us English. Miss Cloud, she startled me a little bit with her stompy heels, "SETTLE DOWN YEAR 10!" Just like in English, but this time she sounded more mad. "Have I done something?" I wondered, I can't really remember doing anything wrong, but I thought harder, and remembered in English when I wasn't concentrating. "Oh no, maybe she has a grudge against me." I thought, I always try to get on with people but it doesn't work sometimes, probably just because I'm a bit weird, I mean would you want to get on with a year 10 who still plays with dolls? Didn't think so.

The teacher began doing the register.
"Jake Martin?" "Yes, miss." Said Jake as he looked around for a plug socket for his laptop,
"Isla Hughes?" "Here miss," Isla said with a sigh. I wondered what was wrong, she seemed fine at lunchtime.
"Mia Williams?" "Yes miss,"
"Carly Peterson?" "Here."
"Ebony Rivers?" "Yes, Miss!" I blurted in a cheerful, spirited voice while everyone stared at me. I didn't want to make miss mad again by seeming rude or blunt.
"Jamie Hutchinson." "Yo."
"Katie London?" "Yes Miss?"