[Yearning Over the Fire]

A soft, melodious voice filled the camp as nimble fingers strummed the strings of a theorbo that sat in the bard's lap. The melody played in such a sweet and delicate way that melted the stress of that day's journey off the listeners' shoulders.

Across from the closed-eyed bard and the burning campfire, sat the blue haired thief. While he was seated a bit further from the rest of the group, quite content on leaning against the woodpile that laid near the edge of the camp the team created.

With the sight in front of him, Erik painted the picture of everyone surrounding the campfire to his memory. Serena and Veronica sat right next to the bard, their hands clasped into their laps with their eyes closed. The gentle smile on Veronica's face paired with Serena quietly mouthing the words clearly showed their enjoyment of the music. Sylvando sat a little to the side, a broad smile on his face as his body rocked in sync to the rhythm of the song. Jade had sat next to the Luminary, who was situated right across Sylvando. They had leaned slightly against each other, both their eyes softened in the glow of the fire. Tiny smiles flitted their expressions as soft gazes were exchanged between the two in joy.

Eventually, Erik's shimmering eyes drank in the sight of the singing woman. The flames of the campfire casted faint shadows on her skin. Her hair was left down for the night, allowing herself to relax as her soft locks of hair framed her lovely face. The way her lips curled upwards as she immersed herself in a song about star crossed lovers that eventually led into a warming end of the couple living together forever; the thief mentally noted it as a favorite song of hers as she had a habit of humming it to herself every so often.

"Ye mind if I take a seat next to ya, laddie?"

Erik snapped out of his daze, and his eyes snapped towards his side to see Rab's smiling face. Erik shook his head and scooted over, allowing the older man to sit down on the sturdy wood pile. The pair sat in silence, watching the bard sing her heart out as the rest of the group listened, enamored with her voice. Erik let out a gentle sigh with a smile as familiar warmth spread throughout his body. Besides him, Rab let out a hearty chuckle, catching the attention of the young man to his side.

"What's so funny?" Erik asked, his thin blue eyebrow quirking upwards in curiosity. The old man next to him just smiled warmly, his eyes wrinkling at the corners. He let out a fond breath out as he turned his head to look at Erik.

"Ah, I remember when I was in yer place, lad," Rab noted, reminiscing his past for a brief second. He moved back to stare at the bard, who was completely unaware of the conversation between the two. Out of the corner of Rab's eyes, he could see Erik's scrutinizing stare boring into the side of his head. The corner of the older man's lips twisted wider into an impish grin. "Young love..."

"W-What?" The thief sputtered, his blue eyes growing wide in embarrassment. Even in the night with the only light being the faint stars in the sky and the dim fireplace, Rab could spot the bright pink flush creeping from his chest towards his cheeks and tips of his ears. Letting out a scoff, Erik turned his head the other way, trying his best to hide the coloring in his face. "Has age caught up to you, old man?"

"Now, now...There's no need to be embarrassed, laddie. I can see it written all over yer face and ye just so happened to feel it with the young [Name] over here," Rab spoke softly, feeling the young man tense at his side. When Erik didn't speak, Rab continued on. "What I'm wondering is why ye haven't gone and told 'er that?"

"Why would I want to do that?" Erik mumbled, turning his head back towards Rab and raising his gloved hands in questioning. The older man just raised an eyebrow with a hard look, and Erik let out a heavy exhale. He let his countenance soften as he returned his gaze to the subject of his affection. Despite his apathetic outlook, Rab could see the tinge of sadness swirling in Erik's eyes. "I...I just don't want to talk about it. We have more important things to focus on right now than some silly crush,"

"Why would it be silly?" Erik heard Rab ask. Instantly, his gaze locked onto Rab as a tender, fatherly smile was directed at him. "Even with everything that is going on, everyone is allowed a bit of respite,"

Rab's eyes moved towards the side, and Erik followed his gaze. It ended up on the princess and the Luminary, and Erik understood what Rab meant at that moment. He noticed the lingering touches and gazes between the pair, and he was overjoyed knowing that his best friend had found someone; at the same time, he felt bittersweet feelings in the same fashion as he felt when he found out Derk was married. Yet he brushed it off and felt happy for his Luminary friend as he had his own eyes set on the bard. If Jade and their hero were allowed a moment of affection, why wasn't he allowed to do so either?

"Plus the little birdie may have mentioned something quite interesting, y'know,"

"Rab..." Erik called out in warning as soon as he heard those words escape the older man's lips.. His eyes narrowed with suspicion as an inkling of hope mixed with anxiety filled his form. Yet, Erik didn't let himself feel too much hope in fear of being in tremendous heartache if it went down the other path. "What exactly are you hinting at?"

"I think ye know what I'm getting at. You're not being exactly discrete at times with yer ogling!" Rab earnestly laughed. He motioned towards the rest of the party members of the ragtag bunch they had. "But no worries, the lil lass is as clueless as you are...What I mean is that I may have overheard a talk between 'er and Serena a while ago. Now I'm not going into details, but I'm sure ye understand what I'm 'inting at, don't ye?"

The blue haired thief sat in stunned silence. His heart thumped erratically against his chest and the blood pumping in his ears was nearly deafening. He could barely hear the final strummings over the strings and the dimming voice of the bard, signaling the end of the beautiful woman's song. Erik sat for a moment, watching the bard push back a loose strand of hair behind her ear. As conversations among the other party members started rising, she slowly stood up, taking her prized instrument with her as she walked towards the rest of her possessions. In the back of his racing mind, he vaguely remembered that every night after singing some songs that the bard took the time to care for her theorbo.

"Now's yer chance, lad," Rab spoke softly, not wanting the chance for anyone else to overhear his conversation with Erik. "Time isn't slowing down for no one and who knows what will happen down the line,"

Gulping, Erik stood up while muttering a hasty 'Thank you' to Rab. Rubbing the back of his neck, he made a beeline towards the bard. From his place, the elderly man watched the pair converse, seeing Erik's nervous eyes and [Name]'s concerned and confused expression. She eventually nodded and followed Erik's lead towards the trees surrounding the camp.

Rab closed his eyes after watching the two disappear behind the treeline and hidden away from prying eyes. He silently prayed to Yggdrasil for the pair's path to end up sweetly, but, in Rab's heart, he knew that he didn't need to wish them any luck. They were well along the path anyhow.